I am sorry you had to find out like this. But I just can’t lie to you any more. I was not spending late nights at work, and that flour you found on my apron was not from last week’s post. I have found someone—something else to love. Doughnuts.
I think it’s time we see other people.
With all my stomach,
Vanilla Cake Doughnuts:
¾ cup + 1 T all purpose flour
¼ cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/3 cup + 1 T granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon nutmeg
2 T butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
¼ cup whole milk or buttermilk, scalded
¼ cup sour cream or plain yogurt
½ teaspoon vanilla
2 T milk
1 cup powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly spray doughnut pans (yields 4-5 regular sized doughnuts).
2. In a medium sized bowl, whisk flours, sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg together.
3. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until crumbly.
4. In a small bowl, lightly beat egg with vanilla.
5. Stir egg/vanilla into flour mixture only until combined.
6. Add milk and sour cream/yogurt and stir only until combined. Do not over mix.
7. Fill doughnut pans ¾ full using a piping bag.
8. Bake for about 8 minutes or until the tops spring back.
9. Let rest in pans for 2 minutes and then remove.
10.Chocolate Glaze: Combine ingredients in a small bowl using a whisk or fork until smooth. Adjust using milk and powdered sugar as necessary.
11. Dip warm doughnuts into glaze.