1 box Devil's Food cake mix
1/2 cup oil
3/4 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup sour cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Chocolate Mint Ganache:
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
1 sleeve Grasshopper Cookies (or Thin Mints)
1/2 cup butter, softened
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoons vanilla extract
3-4 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners.
2. In a small bowl, sift cake mix to remove lumps.
3. In a separate bowl, gently whisk eggs, oil, buttermilk, sour cream and vanilla extract.
4. Combine liquid ingredients with cake mix and stir until well combined.
5. Fill liners 3/4 full and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
6. Ganache: Place chocolate chips in a heat proof bowl. Heat heavy cream until small bubbles form around the edges. Pour cream over the chocolate and whisk until smooth. Stir in vanilla extract.
7. Buttercream: Using a food processor or plastic bag and rolling pin, finely crush Grasshopper cookies. Sift the crushed cookies. You will need 3/4 cup of the sifted powder. In a mixing bowl, beat butter and cream cheese for 3 minutes. Add vanilla and mix again. Scrape down the bowl as needed. Slowly add about 2 cups of powdered sugar and your unsweetened cocoa powder. Then add you 3/4 cup of sifted Grasshopper cookies. Continue to slowly add powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency.
8. To assemble, dip the tops of the cooled cupcakes into the ganache. (If the ganache runs down the sides, you may need to let it cool a little longer.) Let the ganache set an then pipe buttercream over it and top it with a Grasshopper cookie.