Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but summer is coming to an end. The grocery stores moved on last month! I saw plenty of halloween decorations and costumes starting to take over the aisles and even Costco is selling Christmas ribbon already. So say so long to summer with these zesty beauties.
Blueberry Lemon Poppy Seed Cupcakes
Lemon Poppy Seed Cake:
1 box white cake mix
4 egg whites
1/3 cup oil
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream (optional)
1/4 cup lemon juice
Lemon Zest, I use 3 or 4 lemons
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
Blueberry Lemon Buttercream:
1 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup freeze dried blueberries pulverized in a food processor
1 tablespoons lemon juice
3-4 cups powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners.
2. Sift cake mix into a small bowl to remove lumps and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine all other cake ingredients except the poppy seeds. Use a whisk to stir until smooth, but don't over beat.
4. Add cake mix and stir until smooth.
5. Fold in poppy seeds.
6. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 15-22 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
7. Let cool.
8. Buttercream: Beat butter for 2 minutes in a stand mixer. Add your pulverized freeze fried blueberries (I usually put mine through a sifter to remove any remaining lumps). Add lemon juice and slowly add powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency. If it becomes too thick, add more lemon juice.
9. Pipe buttercream onto cooled cupcakes. To see how to make my "roses" follow the link below.
I buy my freeze dried fruits from Trader Joe's
Copyright © YourCupofCake
Check out my post on the “Rose Piping” by clicking here!
These adorable chevron liners are from Sweets & Treats, they were a little sneaky because they looks like normal liners and not grease proof, but they actually worked better than most of my other grease proof liners!