How to Pipe a “Rose” Cupcake

When I show up to a party and bring cupcakes that are all piped and pretty, most people think they came from a bakery (unless they know me well, then they know of my obsession and don’t ask about a bakery). But piping cupcakes is easy and fast! This “rose” technique is wonderful because it uses less frosting than a cupcake piped tall, but it also looks gorgeous.

Here is a step-by-step breakdown of the process.  (If you now have the theme song from the TV show “Step by Step” stuck in your head, then we’re in the same boat.)

Photo credit goes to my dear mother who has cleaned thousands of dishes this summer :)

Most people use a Wilton 1M piping tip for roses, but sometimes I will use something that is a little more “closed,” meaning the little triangles forming to make the tip come closer together.

These cupcakes are Blueberry Lemon Poppyseed and will be posted on Thursday!

21 thoughts on “How to Pipe a “Rose” Cupcake

Emily says:

So…. do you twist while you work?

Miss Vanessa says:

I can’t wait to see the Recipe because these Cups look amazing!

emma says:

piping really does make all the difference. these are gorgeous, i can’t wait to try this method! and your kebler cookie recipe, they look so yummy.

Dawn says:

Your baking cups are so vivid. I baked some chocolate zucchini cupcakes tonight in cute green/white checked liners and after baking they just look brown. Do you buy a special type?

You need to buy grease proof liners if you want to see the pattern after you bake them. these are from Sweets and Treats, I have a link to their site on the recipe for this.cupcake. watch for it tomorrow!

patti u says:

Beautiful!

Dawn says:

Thank you Lizzy! I like to pick up cute cupcake papers, but I didn’t realize that they aren’t all grease proof. I headed over to Sweets & Treats and ordered some liners. Thanks for the tip.

[…] Check out my post on the “Rose Piping” by clicking here! […]

justne says:

Hi, I love these, they look brilliant, I assume you are in the US, I am in England and we don’t have ‘frosting’ here, well, something similar but it is not right and we don’t have frosting that you can just buy off the shelf and certainly not in anything other than white or ivory! so my question is, do you have a recipe for the frosting I can use PLEASE!!!!
    thanks xx

sue griffore says:

I would like to use your suggestion for piping. You said most people use a 1M tip — but you use one with tighter triangles. Do you have a number for the one you use? Or — how many triangles are on the one used? Thank you.

Mine is a really weird brand, called Bakers Craft and it’s a 2D I believe. It has 5 or 6 triangles, but honestly I use a bunch of different tips to make roses, so anything close will work!

Cupcake ME says:

thanks you lizzy!You help me a lot!

Panpan says:

Hey I have a question. When you say “cup” and “spoon” in your recipe. I’m not sure the size of them, can you show me what kind of measurements you are using?

Awesome! Its really amazing piece of writing, I have got much clear idea regarding from this paragraph.

The days of peeling your vegetables with a knife have been over since we have been blessed with the
    peeler. There are a lot of advantages to life with all of the fancy gadgets available to us in this day and
    age. And so it was with Julia’s enamel sauce pan which she bought in Paris in the 1940s and used up until the
    1990s.

I feel that is one of the such a lot vital info for me. And i am happy studying your article.
    However want to commentary on few general things, The site style is great,
    the articles is in point of fact excellent : D. Good job, cheers

Shirley says:

What is the recipe for the frosting you used?

gelato case says:

Magnificent web site. Plenty of helpful information here.
    I am sending it to some buddies anss additionally sharing in delicious.

And of course, thanks to your effort!