Whipped Chocolate Ganache Frosting

Rich and delicious whipped ganache frosting

Rich and decadent chocolate frosting that isn’t too sweet.  This Whipped Chocolate Ganache Frosting will be your new favorite thing to spread on all your cakes.

Chocolate whipped ganache frosting

If you don’t know, ganache (guh-nosh) is traditionally cream and chocolate.  I usually use it when it’s warm to dip my cupcakes in before I frost them, but you can also let it cool and then whip it up to create an incredible frosting.  Think of it like a thick chocolate whipped cream.

Drooling yet?

Decadent whipped chocolate ganache frosting

So… I don’t have a double boiler.  I sort of take pride in not having one yet, so I just “make” one using a bowl and a pot of boiling water.  But you can totally do this in the microwave! Just make sure the bowl you use is okay for the microwave and won’t get scorching hot, you don’ want to burn the chocolate! If you’re nervous, you can just heat the cream over the stove (no double boiler needed) and once it starts to bubble just a little, pour it over the chocolate chips and stir!

You’ll know your chocolate ganache is cooled enough when you can scoop out some and it keeps it’s shape.  See how you can see the indent in the bowl where I spooned some out?  It’s ready!

How to make whipped chocolate ganache frosting

If you hate really sweet frostings, this is the way to go.  Well, this or my Cloud Frosting if you’re not a fan of really sweet or chocolate.  Plus, you can’t really mess this up!  If you have a stand mixer it’s so easy! All you do is melt and whip.

Decadent whipped chocolate ganache frosting

Sometimes I make cupcake and they’re so pretty I just can’t stop taking photos.  This was one of those times.

Gorgeous chocolate strawberry cupcakes

You guys, I went to Costco and got these gorgeous strawberries and I haven’t been able to stop eating them…and taking photos of them.  Fresh fruit really takes cupcakes to the next level.

Beautiful chocolate strawberry cupcakes

Whipped Chocolate Ganache Frosting

Whipped Chocolate Ganache Frosting

2 C. chocolate chips
1 C. heavy whipping cream
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 C. powdered sugar, optional

1. In a double boiler (or in the microwave using a microwave-proof bowl) meal chocolate chips and whipping cream together and stir until smooth.
2. Place into a bowl and let cool in the fridge for 1 hour or until you can spoon some out and it keeps it's form. (see photo)
3. Place in your stand mixer, add vanilla extract and using the whisk attachment, whip until stiff. It should take 4-5 minutes. Taste. If you want it a little sweeter, (because it is quite rich) you may want to add a little powdered sugar.
4. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes and top with fresh fruit to really impress.

27 thoughts on “Whipped Chocolate Ganache Frosting

Magy says:

Absolutely love the presentation

Michelle says:

Thank you for this recipe! I bought some of the cutest Chehalis Mint Shamrocks for St. Patrick’s Day to use as toppers on some cupcakes. As luck had it, they were in my car the one sunny day, warm day we had here in the great NW now I have a solid brick light green mint chocolate. I think your recipe should work great! Chehalis Mints makes yellow chicks and white lambs, I can use one of them as extra toppers… nick of time for next weekend – thanks Lizzy!

Steph says:

How many cupcakes can you frost like this with a single batch? These look fabulous!

Oh my goodness…whipped ganache…drooling. I don’t think anything has ever sounded better. Especially because I am going through a massive chocolate craving at this moment!!

Today I got a huge box of fresh strawberries from Sam’s club and now I am wishing I had this frosting to eat with those!! Loving it!

Valerie H. says:

Must make this. Thanks Lizzy!!!

Michele says:

Do you think this frosting would be good to use on a ho ho cake? Or should I go with something darker?

Yohana says:

What kind of chocolate chip should be used? Semi-sweet or Unsweetened?

Blossom says:

Will this need to be refrigerated?

I love ganache – and I didn’t know you can whip it! I can’t wait to try this. The strawberries really add the crowning touch!

Jordan says:

These look so yummy:)

XOXO,
    Jordan
    braidsandbuttercream.blogspot.com

misha says:

beautiful … love the frosting… have a doubt..i want to do this on my daughters bday cake wanna know whether the cake can be kept out for maybe half hr before cutting. will it affect the shape of the frosting . TIA

Maja says:

Hi! 🙂
    I made this yesterday and the ganache itself was good, but as soon as I whipped it, it got so stiff I could hardly do anything with it … Do you know what could’ve gone wrong? Did I overwhip it? I don’t have a stand mixer, so maybe my normal hand mixer whips too fast …

Georgia says:

I think the ratio is off. 2:1 chocolate to cream will make a very thick, stiff ganache, good for making truffles. For frosting it should be 1:2 or 1:1.

Chantal says:

J’aimerais savoir ce que veut dire le C dans votre recette s.v.p je vous remerci à l’avance.

2 C. pépites de chocolat

1 C. crème à fouetter lourde

2 c. extrait de vanille

1/2 C. sucre en poudre, en option

Joanne says:

This recipe looks great! I’ve made simple cakes with ganache frostings before, and my sister is now asking me to make her engagement cake (eek!!).

Only thing is the theme is white and gold. Would this recipe work with white chocolate? I’m also worried the white chocolate may be too sweet…

Excellent goods from you, man. I have understand your
    stuff previous to and you’re jjust extremely great. I actually like what you have acquired here,
    certainly like what you’re saying and the way in which
    you say it. You make it entertaining and you still care for to keep
    it smart. I can’t wait to read far more from you.
    This is actually a wonderful site.

Jessy says:

Can I use this whipped chocolate ganache recipe to frost a 8in * 3in round cake with 2 layes?
    Will it become harded if using 2C of chocolate and 1C of cream or I need to use ratio 1:1?

Meghann says:

I just made this using peanut butter chips instead. Hoping it turns out as good as the original I made Sunday!!

Nancy says:

Oh, no…….put my ganache in the fridge overnite, you guessed it right….it really firmed up! Can I leave it on the counter overnite and whip it in the morning or do I just throw it away? Thanks