A lot of people ask why I focus on cupcakes. Well, my answer is usually “Because there are so many different kinds you can make and create. But also because they are so pretty.” But coconut cupcakes are boring to photograph. But since I got my new camera, these snowball cupcakes turned out beautifully, oh my. Not only are they pretty, but they are to die for.[end-story]
Chocolate Coconut Cupcakes
- 1 box Devil's Food Cake Mix
- 1/2 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Coconut Cream Frosting:
- 8 ox cream cheese
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coconut extract
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pan with cupcake liners.
2. Sift cake mix into a small bowl and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, gently whisk oil, eggs, buttermilk, sour cream and vanilla extract.
4. Pour cake mix into wet ingredients and mix.
5. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 16-20 minutes, or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
6. Coconut Cream: Beat cream cheese and butter for 4 minutes. Add vanilla and coconut extract. Slowly add powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency. Scrape down bowl as needed.
7. Pipe coconut cream on cooled cupcakes and roll in shredded coconut.