One of my professors loves to bake and cook. He knows how into sweets I am, so he gave me a container of lemon curd. That was my first encounter with lemon curd. I went home, grabbed a spoon, and ate it all. It was the most heavenly, zesty thing I had ever eaten.
The next time he gave me some lemon curd, my professor told me I had to use it in a cupcake. He gave me three containers, so I at one with a spoon and used the other two to fill these Spring cupcakes.[end-story]
Blueberry Lemon Curd Cupcakes
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1/4 cup oil
- 4 egg whites
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 vanilla bean or 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Lemon Curd Filling:
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 cup butter softened
- 2 tablespoons mashed blueberries
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar
1. Preheat over to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners.
2. Sift cake mix into a small bowl to remove any lumps and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, gently whisk oil, egg whites, buttermilk and sour cream together.
4. Split your vanilla bean the long way and use the tip of your knife to scrape out the inside. Add this to your wet ingredients and stir in. (Or simply add your vanilla extract.)
5. Stir in cake mix until fully incorporated.
6. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until and inserted knife comes out clean.
7. Lemon Curd: Using a double boiler (or a make shift one), whisk eggs and sugar together. Add lemon juice, butter and lemon zest and stir constantly over medium heat for about 15 minutes. The mixture should coat the back of a spoon. Let cool.
8. Blueberry Buttercream: Beat butter for 2 minutes and scrape down bowl. Add mashed blueberries (strain your berries if you plan on using a star piping to, you don't want it to get clogged!). Slowly add powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency. Depending on your berries, the buttercream might not be a very rich color, add a little food dye to fix that.
9. Once your cupcakes have cooled, use a knife to cut a little cone out of the top of each cupcake. Fill the holes with your cooled lemon curd and top with your buttercream.