Banana Cream Cupcakes with fluffy banana whipped cream and topped with banana slices and Nilla wafers! Banana cream pie has met it’s match!
Banana Cream Cupcakes with Nilla Wafers
Summer is all about pie season and potlucks. Banana cream pie is one of my favorites so of course I needed to make Banana Cream Cupcakes! The frosting is light and fluffy while the cake is bursting with banana flavor. It’s basically banana cake smothered with whipped cream…yum!
If you have extra ripe bananas, my Skinny Banana Bread will be your new favorite recipe! All the fabulous flavor with less fat and sugar, WIN!
Banana Whipped Cream Frosting
If you haven’t tried banana whipped cream yet, you need to! My husband and I kept dipping our extra Nilla wafers in it after I photographed the cupcakes! It’s so good! But even better than that… it’s crazy simple to make! All you do is whip heavy whipping cream with with some banana instant pudding mix. It adds a ton of flavor and helps to thicken the whipped cream so it won’t melt! Hours later, they whipped cream frosting will still be stiff and pretty enough to serve at any party.
The Best Banana Cake Mix Cupcakes
Amazing banana cake is easy to make with the help of a yellow cake mix. Just mash up a few bananas and add it to the batter! The bananas actually substitute for part of the fat (oil) and some of the moisture (milk or water) in the recipe. Add a few teaspoons of vanilla extract and you’re all set!
Fun Lizzy Fact: Yellow cake with chocolate frosting is one of my top 2 favorite cakes! It’s hard to beat a classic.
Making Cupcakes into Cake
I always get emails from people wondering if they can use my cupcake recipes to make cakes. Yes! You totally can and I do this all the time! The only thing that will change is the baking time. I like to reference the cake mix box that I use when estimating baking times because baking up a sheet cake will be different than a 9-inch round. My favorite recipes to use as cakes are my bundt cake recipes because they have a more dense texture!
Banana Cream Cupcakes with Banana Whipped Cream
- BANANA CAKE:
- 2 medium ripe bananas mashed
- 1 box yellow cake mix I like Pillsbury
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 C. oil
- 1/2 C. milk
- 1/2 C. sour cream
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- BANANA WHIPPED CREAM:
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tbsp. banana instant pudding mix
- NILLA WAFERS & BANANA SLICES
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners.
2. In a large bowl add bananas and use a fork to finely mash. Add cake mix, eggs, oil, milk, sour cream and vanilla extract. Stir until smooth.
3. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 15-18 minutes or until an inserted knife or toothpick comes out clean.
4. Let cool.
5. Banana Whipped Cream: Using the whisk attachment in a stand mixer, whip whipping cream and instant pudding mix until thick. Done!
6. Pipe whipped cream onto cooled cupcakes and top with Nilla wafers and banana slices! Enjoy!