As an official 23-year-old I thought I was all grown up and too good for sunscreen. Yes, me and my ghostly pale skin. So there I was on the beaches of San Diego basking in the sunlight with no protection. A light breeze, the surfer boys running by in their wetsuits and the sounds of the volleyball game 50 yards away filled the air. 3 hours later… I was a little pink, but I felt okay. Then after a stroll through the mall I caught a my reflection in a Nordstrom mirror.
Strawberry Colada Cupcakes
- 1 box white cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 Cup oil
- 1 C. coconut milk
- 1/3 C. sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. coconut extract
- 1 C. butter softened
- 4-5 C. powdered sugar
- 2-3 tbsp. strawberry jam or preserve
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners.
2. Sift cake mix into a small bowl and set aside.
3. In a large bowl combine eggs, oils, coconut milk, sour cream, vanilla extract and coconut extract.
4. Add cake mix and stir until smooth.
5. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 17-22 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
6. Buttercream: Beat butter for 2 minutes. Add in powdered sugar until thick. Add strawberry jam 1 tablespoon at a time until you reach the right flavoring. Taste to test 🙂 Mix in vanilla extract.
7. Pipe buttercream onto cooled cupcakes.
8. Place shredded coconut into a bowl and roll frosted cupcakes into it to smother with coconut.