Have you heard about the pumpkin situation? Well I’m not sure if it’s true, but there is going to be a shortage of pumpkin! Ah! The world must be coming to an end.
When I heard about this last year, I honestly started to panic because I love pumpkin things so much. Pumpkin pie, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin ice cream, pumpkin cookies, I even put pumpkin in my Slimfast shakes.
So now every time I go to the grocery store, I buy a can of pumpkin, so that if this shortage really does happen, I will be prepared.
To celebrate the start of the Fall season, I broke into my incredible pumpkin stash and found this beautiful recipe.
Pumpkin Muffins with Cream Cheese Centers
3 cups flour
3-4 teaspoons pumpkin (or apple) pie spice, whatever you have will do
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 ¼ cups oil
2 cups sugar
2 cups pumpkin puree
8 oz cream cheese
3/4 cup powdered sugar
½ cup sugar
¼ cup flour
4 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
1. Preheat over to 350 degrees.
2. Prepare filling: Whip cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth.
3. Using a piping bag, pipe out a “log” of cream cheese mixture onto plastic wrap. The diameter should easily fit into the bottom of a muffin tin.
4. Wrap log in plastic and place in freezer until firm, about 2 hours.
5. Prepare Batter: Combine flour, spices, salt and baking soda.
6. In a separate bowl, combine eggs, oil, sugar and pumpkin.
7. Mix in dry ingredients only until combined, do not over mix.
8. Fill muffins tins (with papers) 1/3 full.
9. Cut cream cheese “log” into pieces and place a piece in each muffin tin. Make sure to not press them down all the way to the bottom.
10.Cover cream cheese centers with more batter, so the tin is about 2/3-3/4 full.
11. Prepare topping: Combine all ingredients until crumbly (using a form works well).
12.Bake 15-20 minutes of until tops spring back.