Chocolate Cherry Cupcakes with Almond Buttercream

1 can cherry pie filling
Almond Buttercream:
1 cup butter, softened
2-3 teaspoons almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla
2-3 cups powdered sugar
¼ cup sour cream (optional)
1.     Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2.    Beat eggs, almond extract and vanilla.
3.    Sift devil’s food cake mix into egg mixture.
4.    Stir in cherry pie filling.
5.    Spoon into cupcake liners and bake for 12-17 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
6.   Buttercream:  Beat butter for 5 minutes and then add powdered sugar, almond and vanilla extract.  Taste as you add ingredients to get the desired flavor and strength.  Add sour cream and beat again until smooth.
7.    Pipe onto cooled cupcakes.  (If I wasn’t a poor college student, I would have topped the cupcakes with cherries, but the strawberry flavored sugar did the trick.)

27 thoughts on “Chocolate Cherry Cupcakes with Almond Buttercream

~Judy~ says:

AWESOME!!!! You have some of the best recipes.

Billie says:

I made these and wow, delish. I was wondering how your icing came out fluffy looking? I made mine with the sour cream and it was not as stiff. I added more sugar, but not a whole lot because I didn't want them too sweet. Any tips?

Lizzy Mae says:

Billie- Make sure your butter starts at room temperature (never melted), and beat the butter alone on high for at least five minutes. You will notice a color change, and this will help it to stay fluffy. Add the sugar and other ingredients and let it beat for a few minutes more.

Raina says:

Hot diggity dog! These are SO yummy. Can I grow up to be like you someday? I can't wait to serve them to friends tonight. And I might be making them for any other occasion that I can think of. Thanks for the tip. I'll be blog-stalking you from here on out! xo

Do you think that you could take the cupcake batter and bake it as a cake in a 13 by 9 pan?

Lizzy Mae says:

Yes! My Chocolate Cherry Cake recipe uses this same batter in one large pan and then uses a chocolate ganache over the top.

Sarah H. says:

I made these for a baby shower last week. Everyone praised them, and one attendee announced that they were the best cupcakes she had ever tasted. You rock!

Kandice says:

These came out pretty gooey for me. Are they supposed to be this way? If not, how can I avoid that in the future?

Lizzy Mae says:

Kandice, the cupcakes came out gooey? I have never heard of that before. The only thing I can think to tell you is to make sure you cook them all the way through. Depending on your brand of oven and the altitude, cooking times vary. As with any cake, to check if it is done, insert a knife or toothpick into the center. If it comes out clean, it is done.

Brittany says:

Where do you get your cupcake liners/cups like that? I love them! They really complement your beautiful cupcakes!!

Lizzy Mae says:

Brittany, I get my "souffle cups" from a wholesale place in Oregon. But, people have told me they see these babies at Walmart as well. But just google "souffle cups," they are easy to find online!

Cat says:

I like the tip you used. What brand and number is it? Thanks so much.

Lizzy Mae says:

Cat, I used tip 1M, I believe it is Wilton

This might be a bad question- but when you use the soufflé cups, do you still put them in the cupcake pan like regular cupcake cups? Or just put them onto a flat pan?

Lizzy Mae says:

No such thing as a bad question! I usually just put them on a cookie sheet and pop them in the oven. Leave a little room between each cup though!

Unknown says:

How do you do the cherry pie filling? All the fillings i find have cherries in them. Do you puree it all first? Do you know about how much you put in like about a cup?

Lizzy Mae says:

I use a full can of cherry pie filling from the grocery store. I usually will put the entire thing (not the actual can though) in the blender and puree it smooth.

Fatima says:

LIZZY…ONCE MORE A GREAT SUCCESS WITH THIS RECIPE….!!!!!!!!!! very moist, I added tbsp all purpose fluor to the cake mix…also, to make my icing more fluffy but stiff I added 2btsp dream whip and 1 extra cup of powdered sugar!! it make out really REALLY good. thanks for sharing all your recipes. I am thinking on peaches and cream by changing the devils food for yellow cake mix and instead cherry pie filling to use a peach pie filling….YUMMMM!!!

This is really interesting, You’re a very skilled blogger. I have joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your excellent post. Also, I’ve shared your site in my social networks!

Yum! Your cupcakes look very delicious! Love the buttercream frosting!

[…] Cherry Cupcakes with Almond Buttercream(adapted from Your Cup of Cake)makes 24-26 […]

MrsAB says:

Lizzy, can you please tell me what size of canned pie filling you use? Thanks.

Sonia says:

Hi I am going to make these today, except with a from scratch chocolate wheat free cup cake and will put the cherry pie filling in the cupcake after they are baked… Are you using regular butter or unsalted?
    Thank you!

Stacie says:

Lizzie,

I’ve made these a bunch of times and they are always a hit. This is probably my most favorite flavor combination for cupcakes. I’m just wondering if you could recommend how to do these from scratch. I love the texture of a cupcake baked from scratch and I just can’t figure out how to do that and still use that whole can of pie filling. I don’t want to skip that part. Thanks a ton for all your great recipes.