Confetti cupcakes topped with sweet strawberry frosting! These are perfect for baby showers, pink parties, or just for any regular Tuesday night!
My friend wanted confetti cupcakes for her party and I wanted to jazz them up a little with some fun frosting so I created these cute cakes! I used a box of Funfetti Cake Mix but added some decadent strawberry frosting on top. And if you follow my blog, you know about my secret to the best strawberry frosting ever…
If you don’t have a Funfetti cake mix, just use a yellow or white cake mix and stir in some sprinkles after you mix everything else together! I love doing that sometimes because then you can really customize what color of sprinkles you add. So for boy baby showers I’ll just mix in blue and green or for a ballerina birthday party I’ll just use pink.
And it’s still summer, so I’m topping everything I can with a fresh strawberry because it just makes everything gorgeous. Plus, then there’s fruit on top so the cupcake is basically healthy…. right? Right.
A little behind the scenes shot for you! Nothing to special, just a few simple props and great lighting.
Strawberry Confetti Cupcakes
- CONFETTI CAKE:
- 1 box Funfetti Cake Mix or white cake mix AND 1/4 C. sprinkles
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 C. oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 C. milk
- 2/3 C. sour cream
- STRAWBERRY FROSTING:
- 1 pkg. 1.2 oz of freeze-dried strawberries, I get mine from Trader Joe's (OR 3 TBSP. strawberry puree)
- 1 C. unsalted butter softened
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3-4 C. powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pan with cupcake liners.
2. Combine cake mix, eggs, oil, vanilla extract, milk and sour cream until smooth. (Then stir in sprinkles if you're using a white cake mix.)
3. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 15-20 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
4. Let cool.
5. Frosting: Finely crush the freeze-dried berries in a blender and then use a sifter to only use the finer pieces (if you aren't piping your frosting you don't need to sift!). Put in a stand mixer with butter and beat well. Add vanilla extract and slowly add in powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency.
6. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes and top with fresh berries and more sprinkles!