What am I doing right now? I am sitting in a Bio 100 class. Yes, I am a super Senior in college and successfully put off a GE until my last semester. But it’s totally okay, because I just sit in the back with the TA’s and chit-chat the whole class (and write blog posts, like the one for German chocolate cupcakes, for all of you lovely readers). I think the Professor thinks I’m a TA at this point… [end-story]
Banana Chocolate Spice Cupcakes
- 1 box yellow or white cake mix
- 2 large or medium ripe bananas
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 C. oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2/3 C. buttermilk
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
Chocolate Spice Buttercream:
- 1 C. butter softened
- 1/2 C. unsweetened cocoa
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 Tbs. milk
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2-3 C. powdered sugar
Banana Chips to decorate
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners.
2. Sift cake mix into a small bowl and set aside.
3. In another small bowl, use a fork to finely mash bananas with baking soda and lemon juice.
4. In a large bowl, combine eggs, oil, vanilla extract, buttermilk and cinnamon.
5. Stir in mashed bananas.
6. Stir in cake mix until smooth.
7. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 17-22 minute or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
8. Buttercream: Beat butter until smooth. Add cocoa, vanilla, milk and cinnamon and beat again. Slowly add powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency. Add more milk if needed.
9. Pipe onto cooled cupcake and top with banana chips! You can use fresh banana slices, but serve immediately or they will turn brown.