Chocolate Malt Cupcakes with malted frosting– topped with malt balls and straws, it’s basically a milkshake cupcake! And who can say no to that? It’s my favorite way to jazz up a regular chocolate cupcake and make it more special. Just add one extra ingredient and you have a whole new flavor!
Malted milk powder is the secret ingredient to these fabulous cupcakes! You can find it at your grocery store by the hot chocolate usually. It does come in a chocolate kind, but I like getting the original because then I can sneak it into chocolate chip cookies sometimes. It’s really handy to have around because it’s not like it goes bad any time soon and adding a little to milkshakes at home just make you feel like you went to the creamery. Super fancy!
Just a baking tip… you can add it to your baked goods, but remember that it’s a powdered milk. So if you add it to cookies it makes them more chewy and not crispy. So if you like crispy cookies, don’t add it!
The malt powder just dissolves into the frosting and creates an awesome flavor! Definitely a step up from your standard chocolate frosting. You could even add it to canned frosting if that’s what you like to use.
Cupcakes are all about the decoration! These massive malt balls and adorable straws make these cupcakes the cutest things ever! Never forget to “dress up” your cupcake with sprinkles, fresh fruit, or candy. I just used some paper straws and cut each one into 4 segments and poked it into the frosting. I love adding straws to my hot chocolate cupcakes or lemonade cupcakes too!
Chocolate Malt Cupcakes
- CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES:
- 1 1/2 C. all-purpose flour
- 1 C. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 eggs at room temp
- 1 C. sugar
- 1 C. brown sugar packed
- 2/3 cup oil
- 1 C. buttermilk or milk
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- CHOCOLATE MALT FROSTING:
- 1 C. butter softened
- 1/4 C. malt powder see photo
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1-2 Tbsp. milk
- 1/3 C. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2-3 C. powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners, I used green liners because I wanted them to look even more minty!
2. In a medium bowl, combine cocoa flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine eggs, sugar, brown sugar, oil, buttermilk and vanilla extract.
4. Pour half the dry ingredients into the wet and stir. Then add the rest of the dry ingredients and stir again. Don't over mix.
5. Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake for 18-22 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean. Let cool.
6. FROSTING: Beat butter until smooth. Add malt powder, vanilla extract, 1 tablespoon milk, and cocoa powder. Beat. Slowly add in powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency. Add more milk if it becomes too stiff.
7. Frost cooled cupcakes and top with straws (I just cut each straw into 4 segments) and chocolate malt balls!