I know what you’re thinking, “Peanut Butter and Chocolate has already been done Lizzy, get creative!” Yes, it’s been done. I have even done it about 10 times, but that’s because it’s so good! These cupcakes sort of sneak attack you with peanut butter because everything about the cake is brown, so if you don’t top them with peanut butter cups, it will be like a surprise party in your mouth. SURPRISE! It’s me…PEANUT BUTTER! And if that surprise isn’t enough, there is always the peanut butter filled cupcakes for even more surprise!
Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes
- 1 box devil's food cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 C. milk or buttermilk
- 1/2 C. sour cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 C. melted butter cooled
Peanut Butter Ganache:
- 1/3 C. creamy peanut butter
- 2/3 C. chocolate chips or melts
Peanut Butter Chocolate Frosting:
- 1/2 C. butter softened
- 1/2 C. creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 C. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. milk more if needed
- 3-4 C. powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners.
2. Sift cake mix into a small bowl and set aside.
3. In a large bowl combine remaining cake ingredients until smooth. (Make sure to let your melted butter cool a little, you don't want to cook the eggs.)
4. Stir in cake mix and fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 16-22 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
5. Let cool, then prepare ganache.
6. Ganache: Place peanut butter and chocolate in a small microwave proof bowl. Melt in the microwave for about 45 seconds or on the stove top and stir until smooth.
7. Dip the tops of your cooled cupcake into the ganache, then turn right side up and let the ganache cool for about 15 minute.
8. Peanut Butter Chocolate Frosting: Beat butter, peanut butter and cocoa powder for 2 minutes. Scrape down bowl and add vanilla and milk. Slowly add powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency. If it becomes too thick, add more milk.
9. Pipe over the ganache layer and top with chopped up peanut butter cups.