I walked into a bagel shop the other day and was completely attacked by pumpkin. 3 types of pumpkin bagels, pumpkin schmear, pumpkin poppers, pumpkin drinks, pumpkin, pumpkin, PUMPKIN!
It was too much.
Don’t get me wrong, I love pumpkin but too much too fast is a bad idea. I mean, it’s still September! So here is a little hint of pumpkin to start off the season right.
Pumpkin Rose Cupcakes
Vanilla Spice Cake:
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 Tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 C. oil
- 1 C. buttermilk
- 1/2 C. sour cream
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 C. butter softened
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3-4 C. powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp. pumpkin puree
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners.
2. Sift cake mix and pumpkin pie spice together and set aside.
3. Combine all other cake ingredients until smooth.
4. Stir in cake mix and spices and fill cupcake liners 3/4 full.
5. Bake for 17-22 minute or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
6. Buttercream: Beat butter for 2 minutes. Add pumpkin pie spice and vanilla extract and slow yard powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency. Add pumpkin puree and beat. Add more powdered sugar if it becomes too thin.
7. Pipe buttercream onto cupcake like roses, see below for link to photo tutorial.