The 4th of July is almost here!!! Are you ready for hot dogs, burgers, chips, picnic blankets and red, white and blue desserts?! Well, here’s another option for your dessert table 🙂 Red velvet cupcakes topped with a whipped cream frosting and fresh blueberries!
The 4th of July is my favorite day of the summer. Not only do we get to eat hot dogs and macaroni and cheese all day long and wash it down with a slurpee or two, but we can wear whatever we want… as long as it’s red, white and blue. Painted jeans, glitter shorts, ribbons in our hair, stickers on our face–we can wear it all and no one can say a bad word about us 🙂
Here’s to getting to wear crazy clothes and celebrate our freedom in style.
God bless America. I really do love this country and everything we enjoy by living here.
Red Velvet 4th of July Cupcakes
Red Velvet Cake:
- 1 box red velvet cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 C. oil
- 1 C. milk
- 1/2 C. sour cream or plain yogurt
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
Whipped Cream Topping:
- 8 oz cream cheese cold
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream cold
Blueberries for decoration
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners.
2. Sift cake mix into a large bowl.
3. Add eggs, oil, milk, sour cream and vanilla extract and stir until smooth.
4. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 15-20 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
5. Let cool.
6. Whipped Cream Topping: Using the whisk attachment on your stand mixer (make sure bowl is cold), beat cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth. Add vanilla. Slowly add in heavy cream and beat until stiff peaks form.
7. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes and top with blueberries to give a red, white and blue look!
You can also top these with raspberries or strawberries and throw some blue sprinkles on to get the red, white and blue colors!
A simple photo set-up as usual 🙂 Just my handy-dandy reflector board, white table top I got made and the beautiful cupcakes!