There are about 10 copies of my cookbook floating around out there. I had one in my hands only for 48 hours and then I had to give it back. My publishers sent advanced copies to media outlets to get things like interviews and TV appearances rolling. So I have been called up and answering a lot of different questions from reporters. But what is the ONE question each newspaper and TV program and blogger want to know the answer to?
“Lizzy, are you single?”
I don’t know if it’s Valentine’s coming up or just a Utah thing, but they always ask it.
“So what? I’m single.”
Okay, so I don’t answer with that much sass. But still! I’m only 22 (soon to be 23) and it’s okay to still be single. I’m having fun, graduating college, building a business, who has time for boys? Well, I know my mother is hoping I would have time for boys, but that’s just because she wants grandkids to spoil.
To all my single ladies out there, these cupcakes are the perfect cupcake for you this Valentine’s. Chocolate cake, a sweet mascarpone cheese filling flavored with a little hazelnut, and topped with a chocolate malt cream cheese buttercream and chocolate shavings.
“So What? I’m Single.” Cupcakes
- 1 box Devil's of Chocolate cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 C. oil
- 3/4 C. buttermilk or milk
- 1/2 C. sour cream or plain yogurt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 8 oz. mascarpone cheese
- 1/3 C. powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp. hazelnut creamer powder (optional)
Chocolate Malt Buttercream:
- 1/2 C. butter softened
- 8 oz. cream cheese softened
- 2 Tbsp. malted milk powder regular or chocolate
- 1/2 C. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- 3-4 C. powdered sugar
Chocolate Shavings for decoration
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pan with cupcake liners.
2. Sift cake mix into a small bowl and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine eggs, oil, buttermilk, sour cream and vanilla extract until smooth.
4. Stir in cake mix.
5. Fill liners 3/4 full and bake for 17-22 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
6. Filling: Combine all ingredients in a small bowl using a spoon. Taste and add more sugar if you want it sweeter.
7. Buttercream: Beat butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add malted milk powder and cocoa and beat again. Add vanilla, milk and slowly add powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency. If it becomes too thick, add more milk.
8. To assemble: Use a knife to cut a triangle out of the top of each cooled cupcake. Fill will a spoonful of filling, discard "triangle" and pipe buttercream over filling. Immediately top with chocolate shavings. (See photo below)
9. Enjoy being single!
The beautiful grease proof liners and from Sweets & Treats
Note: Mascarpone is an italian cheese and can be found in the specialty cheese section of a grocery store. Don’t be afraid! This stuff is SO good.
Leave a comment