School has started and with that comes taking notes. Being the senior in college that I am, I really don’t like to lug around a bunch of notebooks. I take my computer to school to work on the site and editing photos, so I try to take notes electronically. The problem is, now that I have written 80+ recipes this summer on my computer for my book, I keep finding things like “Tbsp.” and the words “preheat your oven” and I find periods after all my C’s because I had to abbreviate “cup” to “C.” in all my recipes this summer. So maybe trying to take notes on my computer is a bad idea… Maybe I should take no notes a all?
I hope you enjoy this strawberry cupcake with a little twist.
Strawberry Piña Colada Cupcakes
- 1 box white cake mix
- 4 egg whites
- 1/3 C. oil
- 1 C. coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tsp. coconut extract
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 C. sugar
- 4 Tbsp. flour
- 1 egg
- 1 C. crushed pineapple drained
- 1/2 C. pineapple juice
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 C. butter softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-4 Tbsp. Strawberry puree fresh berries put through a blender
- 3-4 C. powdered sugar
Flaked Coconut for decoration
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line your pans with cupcake liners.
2. Sift cake mix into a small bowl and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine eggs, oil, coconut milk, coconut extract and vanilla extract.
4. Stir in cake mix until smooth.
5. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 17-22 minutes or until an inserted knife comes our clean.
6. Filling: Over medium heat, combine all ingredients (except butter) and stir constantly until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in butter, let cool completely.
7. Once cupcakes and filling has cooled, cut out a hole from the top of the cupcake and fill it generously with pineapple filling.
8. Buttercream: Beat butter for 2 minutes. Add vanilla extract and 2 Tbsp. strawberry puree. Slowly add powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency, add more strawberry puree if buttercream become stop thick. Add 2 tsp. strawberry flavored gelatin for added color and flavor.
9. Pipe buttercream over filled cupcakes and top with flaked coconut.