One of my mother’s friends made an order last week. “No chocolate and no berries.” That’s all she said. So this little beauty is what came of that.
½ cup oil
1 cup sour cream
1/3 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 tablespoons white sugar
½ tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
8 ounces cream cheese
½ cup butter
4 cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoons milk (if needed)
3 teaspoons cinnamon
1 ½ teaspoon vanilla
Cinnamon sugar to decorate
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin tins with cupcake liners (about 24).
2. In a large bowl, mix oil, eggs, vanilla and almond together.
3. Sift (for easy mixing) in about ½ of the of the cake mix and stir only until combined.
4. Add buttermilk and sour cream.
5. Sift in the last half of the cake mix and fill cupcake liners ¼ full.
6. Combine sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and sprinkle generously over batter.
7. Fill liners again over the cinnamon mixture with batter until ¾ full.
8. Bake for 18-22 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean.
9. For an extra crunch, run a stick of butter over the rim of each hot cupcake when it comes out of the oven and then roll in cinnamon sugar.
10.Cinnamon Buttercream: Beat cream cheese and butter for 2 minutes. Then add powdered sugar, milk, cinnamon and vanilla. Let beat for 3-5 minutes. If too stiff—add more milk. If too thin—add more powdered sugar.
11. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes and sprinkle cinnamon sugar to top.