Peanut Butter Filled Chocolate Cupcakes

Peanut butter and I have a spastic relationship.
         I can remember days when I would sit down and eat 15 peanut butter cups and not think anything bad of that.
         But it also grosses me out to watch people eat it straight out of the jar.
         In the end, I think I blame Barney.  He was unable to talk when he ate peanut butter because it got stuck to the roof of his mouth, it seemed like a form of torture.

Peanut Butter Filling
6 oz cream cheese
½ cup creamy peanut butter
¼ cup sugar
Cream Cheese Buttercream
8 oz cream cheese
½ cup butter, softened
3 ½  cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-3 tablespoons milk
1.     Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners (yields 22).
2.    Peanut Butter Filling: Cream all ingredients until well combined and set aside.
3.    Chocolate Cake:  In a large bowl, combine eggs, oil and vanilla (do not over beat the eggs).
4.    Add sour cream, yogurt and milk and stir well.
5.    Add cake mix (for easy mixing sift cake mix into batter).
6.   Fill cupcake liners ½-3/4 full.
7.    Place about 1 ½ teaspoons peanut butter filling on top of batter.  Then, do your best to push the filling down into the batter.  (Unlike my photo where it is just sitting on top.)  If you don’t push the filling into the middle, it may slide over while it bakes, that is what mine did.
8.   Bake for about 18 minutes, or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
9   Buttercream: Beat butter and cream cheese.  Add remaining ingredients and adjust as needed to reach desired consistency.
10.Pipe onto cooled cupcakes and top with half of a peanut butter cup.  (To cut easily, put peanut butter cups into the freezer for a few minutes.)

43 thoughts on “Peanut Butter Filled Chocolate Cupcakes

Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie says:

Beautiful and delicious! I will eat peanut butter straight out of the jar, or in anything!

Patti says:

A couple of days ago, I told my daughter that I no longer "star" your recipes in Google Reader because everything you post deserves a star. I know that whenever I need a spectacular cupcake recipe, this is where I come. Everything you make looks amazing.

Lizzy Mae says:

Aww, thank you so much Patti!

kelsdeliciouslife says:

This looks amazing! I can't wait to try it!

Sarah H. says:

Bless you.

Krista {Budget Gourmet Mom} says:

I absolutely love the combination of peanut butter and chocolate! I've seen cupcakes filled with peanut butter but I'm really excited to see the peanut butter baked into these!

Janelle says:

I found your blog today from a friend – and I made these this afternoon for my son's birthday bash tomorrow – he can hardly wait to have one! They look amazing! Thank you for all these amazing recipes! I will be back often to try others!!

Blessings,
    Janelle

Amanda says:

Ahh the Reeses on top are the perfect touch!! :)

Liz says:

I made these for my brother's birthday and they were a huge hit! My kids wanted more. I love your blog and can't wait to try more cupcakes. Are you from Wisconsin by any chance?

Lizzy Mae says:

I am originally from Portland, but in Utah for school right now. I am glad the cupcakes worked out well for you, happy baking!

Jodi says:

Can't wait to try these. What size tip do you use to decorate your cupcakes?

Lizzy Mae says:

I used a 1M tip! Good luck!

This may be a silly question, but I'm curious… when testing to see if filled cupcakes are done, where do you insert a knife/toothpick?

Lizzy Mae says:

Insert the knife as close as you can get to the center without going through peanut butter

L Davis says:

I made these amazing cupcakes today for my dad's birthday and everything turned out perfect except my icing. What is the trick to making the icing fluffy? Mine tends to be runny.

Amy B says:

I'm SO happy I found you!!! I LOVE cupcakes and now I know where to look for delicious recipes!!! Son #2 has his first bday this weekend and will be getting a cupcake from this blog!!!! I just haven't decided which one yet!!!!!

Allie says:

Are all your recipes for high altitude? I live at 5,000 ft.

Lizzy Mae says:

I tend to add about 1/4 cup of extra flour to make up for my high altitude. But I post them as if I were not at high altitude. Basically, just make sure your batter is thick enough and I also bake my things 15 degrees lower so that they don’t overflow :) Hope that helps!

[...] them and so did my co-workers.  Here’s the recipe so you can give them a try (thanks to Your Cup a Cake for this tasty treat). Peanut Butter Filling 6 oz cream cheese ½ cup creamy peanut butter ¼ cup [...]

[...] for this recipe: buy the cheap wine. The flavor is going to come from all the fruit you add. 20. Peanut Butter Filled Chocolate Cupcakes: I pinned these cupcakes and a friend subtly (or not so subtly) hinted several times that I should [...]

Elle says:

What kind of milk do you use in this recipe? And what kind of oil? Thanks!

Shelly says:

I just made these cupcakes and my husband said they were my best yet!!! The cake is so moist that it has an airiness to it!! So glad you share your recipes so that others can enjoy them!!!!

Kelsey says:

I made these cupcakes for a family party and they got rave reviews! I absolutely love your blog and I can’t wait to try more of your recipes! By the way I’ve got a brother that goes to BYU. GO COUGARS!!!

Samantha Sullivan says:

Lizzy by any chance do you any tips for getting the peanutbutter in the middle of the batter? Making these cupcakes now for a party tomorrow night and i’m at a loss. Love your blog and all your recipes and made quite a few all with rave reviews! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!1

Marissa says:

Do your cupcake recipes work for making a cake as well? If so, how much should the cooking time be altered?

Yes they will work as cakes. The baking time will depend on the thickness of your cake. I sheet cake takes less time an a small round cake. If you’re doing the basic round pans, I would say about 25 minutes or so. I like to set the time early, then check it to adjust.

Melanie says:

Would it be easier to drop the peanut butter in first and then pour the batter?

[...] It’s me…PEANUT BUTTER! And if that surprise isn’t enough, there is always the peanut butter filled cupcakes for even more [...]

karen alquist says:

just made these. looked beautiful when i took the out but as soon as i took them out the flopped down and peanutbutter is still really gooey. what did i do wrong?

• The peanut butter filling is heavier than the cake, so it can sometimes cause your cakes to fall in. If the peanut butter is still really gooey, perhaps they needed a few more minutes in the oven

Rosie says:

I freaking love this blog. its my new fave, lots of other ones hardly have any cupcakes or cake recipes. this one does. love love it

Samantha says:

Hi! Can you generally intermix any milk for the recipes (whole, buttermilk, milk)? Also, can you fill the cupcake liners 1/4, put the peanutbutter filling in, and then put more batter on top of it??

Thanks!! I made your Chocolate Cookie Dough cupcakes for my students today and they LOVED them. :)

Samantha says:

Hi! What tip did you use for the buttercream? Any ideas on how to get buttercream to hold up? Mine kids unraveling when I use the Wilton 2D. Maybe more p. sugar? Thanks!!! :)

I used a wilton 2D tip but I used a knife to spread the spokes a little bit more. Yes, more powdered sugar will help. Also, make sure you are using REAL butter and that it has never been melted.

Bre says:

Does it matter that type of butter I use? salted or unsalted? My aunt told me unsalted but I just wanted to make sure. I am making these for my best friends “lil peanut” themed baby shower :) Hope they turn out well! Wish me luck!

bre says:

Do these always sink in the middle?
    It’s hard to tell if they are done or not