Raspberry Lemonade Mini Cupcakes

Raspberry Lemonade Cupcake

After you sit around a campfire for hours, you get in the shower and what happens?  As soon as your hair hits the water the smell of smoke and trees flood the shower.  Well with my big, curly hair the same sort of thing happens after I bake hundreds of cupcakes all day.  It just smells like a bakery exploded in my shower with all the sugary scents filling the air. [end-story]

Raspberry Lemonade Mini Cupcakes

Yield: 40-48 mini cupcakes

Raspberry Lemonade Mini Cupcakes

Lemonade Cake:
1 box white cake mix
1/4 C. oil
3/4 C. buttermilk or milk
1/2 C. yogurt or sour cream
1/4 C. lemon juice
zest of 2 lemons
1 tsp vanilla extract
Raspberry Buttercream:
1 bag freeze dried raspberries (from Trader Joe's)
1 C. butter, softened
1 tsp. lemon juice
4-5 C. powdered sugar
Fresh Raspberries to decorate

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners.
2. Sift cake mix into a small bowl and set aside.
3. In a large bowl combine oil, eggs, buttermilk, yogurt, lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla extract until smooth.
4. Stir in cake mix until smooth.
5. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 10-14 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
6. Buttercream: Prep berries by putting them in a food processor or blender and pulverize. Then sift out the seeds, (discard seeds), and place what fell through the sifter into your mixing bowl. (When working with freeze dried things you must work fast because they quickly absorb moisture in the air.) Place butter in with berried and beat for 2 minutes. Add lemon juice and slowly add powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency.
7. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes and top with fresh berries.

Notes

For standard size cupcakes: Bake at 350 degrees for 17-22 minutes

Raspberry Lemonade Cupcakes

55 thoughts on “Raspberry Lemonade Mini Cupcakes

Jaime says:

Mmmm those look so good! How many OZ. were the raspberries or how many cups after you take out the seeds. ( I am not close to a Trader Joes) Thanks!

What a perfect summer cupcake. Love how you decorated them.

Shantel says:

What doea sour cream do to the taste and textur of cake? And also what about buttermilk?

Sylvie says:

These look so good they’re making my mouth water!

Liz says:

These look sooo good! I would love to pop a whole one in my mouth right about now! :)

Jennifer K. says:

I am curious, do you know if there would be ay ingredient changes needed if I used a gluten-free cake mix?

Bailey says:

those look awesome!! i make a raspberry lemonade cake kind of like yours but with raspberry jello mix in poked holes in the cake and cool whip on top! :)

These look amazing! I always enjoy reading your short but sweet stories!

Nancee says:

Just made these this morning. The only changes I made was to make “standard” size cupcakes instead of minis, and I filled them with lemon curd. I’m taking them to work tomorrow, but my husband always tastes tests one first and he loved it. Thanks again for another fabulous recipe.

Erica Bremer says:

Can I use anything besides freeze dried raspberries? I can’t seem to find them anywhere, and I am not near a Trader Joes.

You can use a raspberry puree (sift out the seeds) but the flavor won’t be as rich, because your can’t add as much since it’s liquid and too much liquid makes for a runny frosting. I will sometimes “cheat” by using some puree and then a few teaspoons of raspberry jello powder.

Becky says:

Would this work okay with strawberries?

beth says:

do i thaw the raspberries before i pulverize them? also, where do I find a fine mesh strainer?

Use FREEZE DRIED berries, thats what gets the awesome amount of flavor and pop of bright color. If you use real raspberries, yes let them thaw then throw them in the blender. You can get a mesh strainer for just a few bucks in just about any big grocery store or TJ maxx, walmart, target. Kitchen Aid makes one that is usually every where.

jordan says:

do you have any cookbooks or is the recipies just on the internet cause if so i would love to buy one

Tessa says:

Where do you get your tips?

I get them in any specialty baking store or Hobby Lobby, Michaels… but you can order them online if you don’t live near a place like that. I have 4 tips that are my favorite that I use all the time, so you don’t need many (But I do have about 50)

Mikayla says:

So I am determined to make these for Father’s Day despite the pink color. What size does the cake mix have to be in ounces? there are 18, 15.75 and so much more that I’m not so sure which size to use.

Zulema T. says:

I love all your recipes! They have inspired me on creating some of my own! Are u working on another book or maybe even thinking about it?

Stephanie says:

What decorating tip did you use to pipe the frosting? It makes the cupcake even more edibley enticing!

Ian says:

These are the perfect summer cupcake!!! Really light and sweet yet rich at the same time…awesome

Lorieann says:

For those of us who do not have access to a Trader Joe’s Store, the freeze dried raspberries are available from Amazon. Just search for Trader Joe’s, lots of their products are available.

I’m going to order some so I can do these cupcakes, they look divine !

Wendy says:

Hi.i am finding out that there are many different sizes of mini cupcakes. Can I ask what size you used for the lemonade cupcakes. Or what name brand pan are you are using? I have a mini pan but am no longer going to use it as it is too tiny and the minis get way over done. Thanks.

Deena Harless says:

You don’t use oil in these?? They are gorgeous!

Bonnie says:

I made mine using raspberry extract – they sell it at WalMart, so might be easier to find for those of you without a Trader Joe’s!

Kate W. says:

Tried this recipe and it turned out great! The lemon flavor is perfectly balanced so it’s not too sweet. The only problem is the instructions never tell when to add the oil. I assume it’s supposed to be with the other wet ingredients. Anyone making this recipe needs to make sure to add oil or it just won’t come off the papers.

Ashley Fort says:

I buy my freeze-dried raspberries in bulk. How many oz. is the bag of raspberries from Trader Joe’s?

1.2 oz is each package! You can use as little or as much as you want depending on how strong you want the flavor. You can also use them in white cake batter to make a berry cake!

Valerie says:

How far in advance can I make the cupcakes– a day maybe? I’m also worried about when to put the rapsberries on as sometimes they get watery.

I only make mine a day before. I frost and then put the raspberry right on a few hours before the event. If you wait to put on the raspberry after it’s been frosted… it can make cracks in the frosting. I hope that makes sense, good luck!

Misty says:

Lizzy,
    If I wanted to make chocolate mini cupcakes, would I just decrease the temp to 325 for the 10-14 minutes?

Cupcake ME says:

love this site!Can i ask something ?
    You have a nice lemon or orange cupcake recipe????
    (i love your IDEAS)

Melissa says:

Can you use a Lemon cake mix instead? or will it be too lemony?

Bella says:

What type of piping tip did you use for the icing on these?

maria says:

Hi,sorry but i do not use cake mix.instead of this what can i use?how mach flower,baking powder etc.?sorry about my english is not my first language.Thanks…

Andria says:

I just finished the frosting. It needed a lot more liquid than the 1 tspn–I think I used 8tspn lemon juice and 6tspn water. It is delicious!! Tastes like raspberry sorbet! I can’t wait to try it on the cupcakes!! Thanks for the recipe!!

Andria says:

The cake was a little too dense for my liking. I’ll be keeping this frosting recipe though! I loved it now I need to make a light fluffy maybe lemon but maybe just a white cupcake to go with it. Thank you for introducing me to freeze dried fruit, it’s AMAZING!!! i can’t wait to bake with it more!

Love this recipe! That is why we featured it in our list of the Best Dessert Recipes http://www.listsforall.com/best-dessert-recipes/. Would love if you would checkout the full list sometime. Keep up the good work!