Red Velvet Cupcakes with White Chocolate Mousse

White Chocolate Mousse Red Velvet Cupcakes

Red Velvet Cupcakes topped with an easy White Chocolate Mousse made from a pudding mix! And yes, you can make this frosting with any type of instant pudding mix.  If you missed my other Red Velvet Cupcakes or Red Velvet Rice Crispy Treats make sure to check them out, you’re going to want to make something fabulous this year for Valentine’s Day!  Or make these Maple Bacon Cupcakes for the man in your life 🙂

White Chocolate Mousse Red Velvet Cupcake

His name was Ian and he was my  first slow dance.

It was Jamison’s 11th birthday party and “Who Let the Dogs Out?” was just playing. Then we heard it–The opening chords to the Backstreet Boy’s “I Want it That Way”… a slow song.  All the girls froze along the side of the wall, fixed their hair and Limited Too training bras and waited.  Waited to see who picked who.  The boys started to shuffle over, mumbled a few words to us and then I was dancing.  Well, maybe I shouldn’t go so far as to call it “dancing.”  All I can remember were the stiff arms, straight elbows, his finger tips were barely touching my hips and we were swaying from side to side desperately trying to avoid eye contact.

It was a miracle he even asked me though.

I was taller than him by a few inches, my hair was nothing less than a fuzz ball and it was in the middle of my glitter phase.

Needless to say I was not one of the “cool” girls.

I’d like to say the night got better, but my dances with Klay and Cooper were just as painful.

Red Velvet Cupcakes with White Chocolate Mousse

Red Velvet Cupcakes with White Chocolate Mousse

Red Velvet Cupcakes:
1 box Red Velvet Cake mix
1/2 C. butter, melted and slightly cooled (or oil)
1 C. sour cream
1/2 C. milk
2 tsp. vanilla extract
Quick Mousse:
1 Box White Chocolate Instant Pudding mix
3 C. Heavy Whipping Cream
Sprinkles for decoration

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners.
2. Sift cake mix into a small bowl and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine eggs, butter, sour cream, milk and vanilla extract and whisk until smooth.
4. Stir in cake mix.
5. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 17-20 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
6. Let cool.
7. Quick Mousse: In a stand mixer using the whisk attachment, beat instant pudding mix and heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form.
8. Pipe mousse onto cooled cupcakes and top with sprinkles!

Pudding Frosting is so simple and easy and tastes delicious! It also freezes really well if you like your cakes cold 🙂

Pudding Frosting

43 thoughts on “Red Velvet Cupcakes with White Chocolate Mousse

Beverly says:

Would it be wrong to just make the mousse and eat it without the cupcake?! I am not huge on red velvet cake but the icing….ooo-la-la.

Bvicob says:

These need to be refrigerated, right?

Aimee says:

Wow these look amazing! Talk about a foolproof frosting! Was it easy to pipe out? I as wondering, since mousse tends to get runny after a while.

Courtney says:

Hi Lizzy, just wondering why this mousse isn’t made with sweetened condensed milk like the chocolate mousse frosting (which I’ve made before, and is wonderful)? I was going to make it again with white chocolate pudding, then saw your new recipe, so I would like to know which is recommended.

Andrea says:

How large of a pudding box do you use?

Kimmie says:

Oooh don’t these look yummy! What piping tip did you use? I love the funky swirl!

adrianne baeza says:

I want to make these for me family. Will it last over night in a box. I won’t be delivering them until the next evening?

Misty Benningfield says:

Quick question, can you make the mousse ahead of time and refrigerate? Maybe for a day or two?

Samantha says:

This mousse was so good!!! Would you be able to substitute other instant pudding mixes and make it the same way? Thanks!! My boys enjoyed eating the leftovers spread on graham crackers with sprinkles for dessert. 🙂

Kathy says:

I’m making mini cupcakes for a wedding and am wondering about making and frosting them a day ahead and freezing them – since it’s a July wedding, I’m thinking they would thaw pretty quickly and still be tasty. Thoughts?

ein says:

Hi there! can i use Jell-o instant pudding instead? what if my instant pudding less a few grams?

Cindy says:

Would this frosting last outside on a warm/hot day? I want to make red velvet for a birthday party at the park and I’m debating if I should use this pudding recipe or traditional cream cheese. I’m going for the one with higher chance of not melting on me.

Queen Mom says:

Hi Lizzy! I have made the red velvet cupcakes and they sunk after taking them out of the oven 🙁 I used DH and added chocolate pudding to the mix…. Do you have an idea if that was my mistake?

Myrna

Sheryl says:

Hi Lizzy! These look fantastic, thank you for sharing! I was wondering if I could use this frosting for a 4 tier cake that will be covered with fondant?!

Anna says:

Hi I love cupcakes

Priscilla says:

Hi, love your blog. What kind of cake mix do you use?
    Can’t wait to make some of your yummy cupcakes. 🙂

Kristy says:

Hi! Thank you so much for all your wonderful recipes! I am really looking forward to using this frosting and was just wondering if it colors well?

Sunshine baker says:

My 4 yr old and I made these last week. We left them in a little too long in the oven so they were a tad dry, but his day care teachers still liked them. I can’t get the white chocolate pudding mix in Canada so I made a regular cream cheese icing instead. They looked super cute with heart sprinkles on top.

Alma says:

What size cake mix(depending on the brand,size is different) and what brand do you prefer/use?

Chanay George says:

Hello:)
    I made these this evening but my cupcakes fell miserably:( I don’t know why; would you have an idea?

I’ve learn some jut right stuff here. Definitelyy value bookmarking for revisiting.
    I surprse how a lot effort you set to create
    this sort of great inforjative website.

bring says:

Very good bloց post. I ⅾefinitely loᴠе this site.
    Thankѕ!

jaymie says:

could I add crushed Oreos to this? I saw the Oreo mousse recipe but like the idea of using pudding instead of a cream cheese frosting base.