Lemon Cream Cheese Cupcakes

Lemon Cream Cheese Cupcakes

Spring has sprung and it’s time for lemon, berry and s’mores themed desserts! These lemon cupcakes are made with a while cake mix, but you can use lemon or yellow.   I just prefer using the white because I feel like I get a more “fresh” taste starting with a blank canvas.  Cream cheese frosting tastes good on everything, and with a little hint of lemon you can’t go wrong!

If you want a cupcake a little more daring, give the Chocolate Lemon Cupcakes a try, they’re one of my favorite!

Cute polka dot liners from Sweets & Treats!

Lemon Cream Cupcakes

Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting:
8 oz. cream cheese
1/2 C. butter, softened
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 Tbsp. lemon juice, fresh
3-5 C. powdered sugar

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners.
2. Sift cake mix into a large bowl.
3. Add oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, sour cream and eggs and stir until smooth.
4. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 15-20 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
5. Let cool.
6. Lemon cream cheese frosting: Beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add vanilla extract, lemon juice and 2 C. powdered sugar. Continue to add in powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency.
7. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes and top with sprinkles.

Happy Easter!

There’s the bunny, the Reese’s Eggs, all things Cadbury, plastic eggs filled with coins and carrot cake.  But don’t forget the real reason for this holiday…

I love you all!

17 thoughts on “Lemon Cream Cheese Cupcakes

Melina says:

Love lemon! Can’t wait to try this one. Happy Easter

These look amazing! The Chocolate lemon ones sound really yummy too. And your photography, as always, is beautiful! I really enjoy your blog. Happy Easter.

Valerie H. says:

These look scrumptious! Happy Easter Lizzy!

talia says:

I love lemon and these look amazing! Your photos are so pretty!

whitney cardwell says:

Could I use a lemon cake mix instead of white cake mix in the is recipe?

Johanna Javorniczky says:

Hi Lizzy,

Just discovered your blog and love your cupcakes.
    I live in Melbourne Australia and our measurements are different to yours in America.
    Could you please tell me how many grams is 1-cup of butter?
    Thank you very much for your help, I can’t wait to try one of your recipes ,hard to decide which one,they all look so yummy.
    I also love your book,already on order from Amazon.
    Warm regards from now cold Australia, Johanna

Renate Olson says:

What is the difference between these and the lemon cream cupcakes other than the fact that those a mini?

Katy says:

Unfortunately a big fail and had to chuck the lot in the bin, stodgy and dense. Not sure where I went wrong, but think the liquid was out of proportion to a box of Australian cake mix.

kolleen birkmeyer says:

Hi, I made these “gluten free” using Pamela’s GF vanilla white cake mix, and it came out perfect, OH MY GOODNESS, it’s like eating a lemon meringue pie…these were a hit!!!!!! That frosting is sooooooooooo delicious!!! Thank you for this recipe! !!!!

Jennifer says:

How many cupcakes does this recipe yield? I am assuming it depends on the size of boxed cake mix I buy. A rough estimate is perfect! :)

Thank you!

Khrizette says:

Can I use your fluffy cloud frosting recipe with Lemon juice or extract?

M Kunz says:

I LOVE cream cheese frosting, but always struggle with the consistency. When I use a 1M tip the swirls fall unless I use straight buttercream. Any tips on how to use cream cheese frosting with a 1M tip to make it as beautiful as yours?