Spring has sprung and it’s time for lemon, berry and s’mores themed desserts! These lemon cupcakes are made with a while cake mix, but you can use lemon or yellow. I just prefer using the white because I feel like I get a more “fresh” taste starting with a blank canvas. Cream cheese frosting tastes good on everything, and with a little hint of lemon you can’t go wrong!
If you want a cupcake a little more daring, give the Chocolate Lemon Cupcakes a try, they’re one of my favorite!
Cute polka dot liners from Sweets & Treats!
Lemon Cream Cheese Cupcakes
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1/3 C. oil
- 1/2 C. fresh lemon juice
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 1 C. sour cream
- 3 eggs
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 1/2 C. butter softened
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice fresh
- 3-5 C. powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners.
2. Sift cake mix into a large bowl.
3. Add oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, sour cream and eggs and stir until smooth.
4. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 15-20 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
5. Let cool.
6. Lemon cream cheese frosting: Beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add vanilla extract, lemon juice and 2 C. powdered sugar. Continue to add in powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency.
7. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes and top with sprinkles.
There’s the bunny, the Reese’s Eggs, all things Cadbury, plastic eggs filled with coins and carrot cake. But don’t forget the real reason for this holiday…
I love you all!