Yellow-banana cake topped with rich Nutella frosting. Nutella and bananas are a match made in dessert heaven. And to make this recipe as easy as possible, I use a cake mix to start!
Back to school.
Even though I’m done with school (for now) it still brings back all the lunch box memories. Mostly all the food that didn’t survive the trip in my backpack under my books. Like the soft peaches, the sandwiches on fluffy bread, and the bananas that gushed out at one end under pressure.
I don’t think these cupcakes would do that well either… So maybe save them for an after school snack!
Banana Nutella Cupcakes
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 C. oil
- 2 ripe bananas mashed
- 1/2 C. sour cream or plain yogurt
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 C. butter softened
- 1/2 C. Nutella
- 1/4 C. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2-4 Tbsp. milk
- 2-4 C. powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners.
2. Sift cake mix into a large bowl to remove any lumps.
3. Add eggs, oil, mashed bananas, sour cream and vanilla extract. Stir until smooth.
4. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 15-20 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
5. Let cool.
6. Nutella Frosting: Beat butter and Nutella until smooth, Add cocoa powder, 2 Tbsp. milk and 1 C. powdered sugar and beat again. Continue to slowly add in more powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency. Add more milk if the frosting becomes too thick.
7. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes and top with fresh banana slices just before serving!
Sprinkles tend to make everything a little more pretty. And remember, don’t put the banana slices in too long before you serve the cupcakes, you don’t want them to be brown when people eat them!
The adorable liners are from Sweets & Treats
Looking for more delicious recipes?
Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
Andes Mint Cookies/ Grasshopper Cookies
Leave a comment