Having just graduated from college, I get to look back at all the roommates I’ve had over the years. Since I moved at least once a year I shared a roof with 25 girls total. Some have become my best friends, some have been forgotten and some were borderline insane.
One of my most talented, beautiful and endearing roommates asked me this:
“Lizzy, what’s the difference between cinnamon sugar and brown sugar?”
My dear Whitley, I hope I’ve taught you well.
Chocolate Brown Sugar Cupcakes
Chocolate Buttermilk Cake:
- 1 box devil's food cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 C. oil or melted butter cooled
- 3/4 C. buttermilk
- 1/2 C. sour cream
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
Brown Sugar Frosting:
- 1 C. butter softened (not melted)
- 1/3 C. brown sugar packed (make sure there are no rock-hard chunks)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3-4 C. powdered sugar
Chocolate flakes or brown sugar to decorate
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners.
2. Sift cake mix into a small bowl to remove lumps and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine eggs, oil, buttermilk, sour cream and vanilla extract until smooth.
4. Stir in cake mix.
5. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 17-22 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
6. Let cool.
7. Frosting: Beat butter and brown sugar for 2 minutes. Add vanilla extract and slowly add in powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency. If it becomes too thick, add 1 Tbsp. milk.
8. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes and decorate with chocolate shavings or brown sugar.
PS: Happy Birthday to my father! The man may be old but he’s still kickin’! Check out his favorite cupcake recipe, which is also one of my most popular.