Valentine’s Day and Red Velvet is so last week…. now we’re on to GREEN treats for St. Patricks day starting with these Chocolate Pistachio Cupcakes. They’re mostly chocolate with a hint of pistachio, so if you’re afraid… don’t be! The crushed pistachios on top give some great green color as well as add a nice salty crunch to the cake.
Love the liners? Greaseproof liners are what you need if you still want the colors to pop when they come out of the oven. I got these from Sweets & Treats.
Good women are like pistachios.
Sometimes a little tough to open up, but well worth the effort.
Chocolate Pistachio Cupcakes
Chocolate Pistachio Cake:
- 1 box devil's food cake mix
- 1 pkg. instant pistachio pudding mix
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 C. oil
- 1/2 C. sour cream
- 3/4 C. milk or buttermilk
- 1 C. butter softened
- 1/2 C. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 C. milk or sour cream
- 3-4 C. powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners.
2. Sift cake mix into a a small bowl and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine pudding mix, eggs, oil, sour cream and milk until smooth.
4. Stir in cake mix.
5. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 16-20 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
6. Let cool.
7. Chocolate Buttercream: Beat butter for 2 minutes. Add cocoa powder, vanilla extract and milk and beat again. Slowly add in powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency.
8. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes and top with crushed pistachios!