Remember when I said that I love the chocolate and coconut combo? Well it’s true, I’m obsessed. Within a month I have posted my Almond Joy Cupcakes which went insane on Pinterest and also my Chocolate Coconut Cookie Sandwiches which are adorable and delicious. And now, I am posting these babies. I made them for my brother’s wedding reception, and they were the first ones gone. I even had people coming up to me and asking “Are there any coconut ones left, I was told I HAVE to try one.”
Coconut Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache
- 1 box white cake mix
- 4 egg whites
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup coconut milk canned, not light
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar
Shredded Coconut for decoration
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners.
2. In a large bowl, sift cake mix to remove lumps. Set aside.
3. Use a whisk to combine, eggs whites, oil, coconut extract, vanilla extract, coconut milk and sour cream. Whisk until smooth.
4. Add cake mix and stir using a spatula.
5. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 17-22 minutes, or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
6. Let cool on cooling racks.
7. Ganache: When your cupcakes are cooled, place chocolate chips and whipping cream in a heat proof bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds and then stir. Continue to microwave in 10 second increments and stirring in between until it's smooth.
8. Dip the tops of your cooled cupcakes into the ganache and let set before frosting.
9. Coconut Cream: Beat butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add coconut extract and then slowly add powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency.
10. Pipe frosting onto cupcakes then roll into a bowl of shredded coconut to decorate.
11. Ta dah! Enjoy!