Christmas is right around the corner and cookie exchanges are in full swing! If you want a show stopper cookie but don’t have all those fancy decorating skills, these Easy Christmas Wreath Cookies are perfect! Plus, they use the new Purely Simple Cake Mixes from Pillsbury that I’m in love with! A homemade great taste but with no colors, preservatives or artificial flavors! This recipe will work with the regular mixes too if that’s what you have in your pantry already. It’s a cake mix but I turned it into a cookie mix with a few small changes.
These look adorable and professional are really easy to make! Here are some step by step photos of how it all came together. And there will be a video up on my Facebook page later today showing an even more photos!
You need the cookies, green frosting (the tip I used is shown in a later photo), red candies like mini M&M’s or red hots or sprinkles and some Fruit by the Foot! But here’s a trick on the Fruit bow… Buy the Target brand because their’s is not as wide and never comes with designs cut in to the strips. You can also use Fruit Rollups and just slice the rollup with a knife to make pieces to work with! I did that the other week for another project and it worked great!
I used an open star tip for these but last year when I made some Wreath Cupcakes I used a different tip, so use whatever you have or just make little loop-d-loops all around! As long as it’s green, people will know it’s a wreath!
The bows are easy to make because they just stick together! No frosting needed to make them stay together! Put them on cookies, rice krispie treats, cakes or whatever you want!
Here is what those fabulous new Pillsbury mixes look like! I’m seriously in love with them and obsessed with the fact that they are interchangeable with all my cake mix recipes!
Easy Christmas Wreath Cookies
- 1 box Pillsbury Purely Simple White Cake Mix or the chocolate cake mix!
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 C. oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Green Frosting:
- 3/4 C. butter softened
- 2-3 C. powdered sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- green food dye
- Fruit by the Foot the Target store brand is best because it's not as wide, and they don't come with designs cut into them
- red candies mini M&M's, red hots, or sprinkles
1. Preheat oven to 335 degrees and line pans with parchment paper.
2. Combine cake mix, eggs, oil and vanilla extract. The dough will be thick so you can either mix it by hand to get a workout or use a mixer.
3. Scoop out dough balls the size of walnuts and lightly flatten onto the pan. (Just a gentle pan will do to keep them from baking up too tall.)
4. Bake for 8-12 minutes.
5. Let cool.
6. Frosting: Beat butter and 2 cups powdered sugar. Add more powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency. Add vanilla extract and green food dye.
7. Pipe frosting on in a circle to create your wreath (piping tip shown in photo).
8. Use your Fruit by the Foot to make bows and then place those on top of the cookie wreath. Finish off with red candies for your "berries."