Love is in the air! And there’s no better couple than peanut butter and chocolate! These Reese’s Peanut Butter Cupcakes have dreamy peanut butter frosting and rich chocolate cake. Make these for your man this Valentine’s Day and he’ll probably drop to one knee and propose. Or if you’re already married he may forget and propose again!
But in all seriousness, when I need to impress a boy I pray he’s not allergic to peanut butter and I whip up a batch of chocolate peanut butter cupcakes! Top them off with a Reese’s Cup and he’s mine! I may or may not have fed these cupcakes to a boy I went out with a few weeks ago… 🙂
I get a lot of emails from people wanting to know about my food photos so I love posting about it! Here’s a little pull-back shot of my set up. Sometimes there’s more going on in the shot but this one was just so simple. The cupcakes and the cutting board was all it took to get the perfect shot! I have a few posts on food photography if you want to learn more!
Are you drooling yet?
If you want a cake mix version…. 1 box devil’s food cake mix, 3 eggs, 1/2 C. melted butter, 2/3 C. sour cream, 1/2 C. milk. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
The trick to epic peanut butter frosting? The vanilla extract!!
Reese's Peanut Butter Cupcakes
- CHOCOLATE CAKE:
- 1 1/2 C. all-purpose flour
- 1 C. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 eggs at room temp
- 1 C. sugar
- 1 C. brown sugar packed
- 2/3 cup oil
- 1 C. buttermilk or milk
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- PEANUT BUTTER FROSTING:
- 1/2 C. butter softened
- 1/2 C. creamy peanut butter
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 Tbsp. milk
- 3-4 C. powered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners, I used orange to really bring out the Reese's Pieces theme!
2. In a medium bowl, combine cocoa flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine eggs, sugar, brown sugar, oil, buttermilk and vanilla extract.
4. Pour half the dry ingredients into the wet and stir. Then add the rest of the dry ingredients and stir again. Don't over mix.
5. Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake for 18-22 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean. Let cool.
6. Peanut Butter Frosting: Beat butter and peanut butter until smooth. Add vanilla extract, milk and 2 cups powdered sugar. Continue to add powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency. If it becomes too thick, like a cookie dough, add more milk!
7. Frost cooled cupcakes and top with Reese's Peanut Butter Cups! You can use the regular sized or the minis!
Tabasco Valentine! I just posted about this on my instagram page and people wanted to make their own, so here you go! I just put two dots of hot glue on the right and left corner and covered up the regular label. I printed mine at Costco though so it was on photo paper.
Just copy the image below and put a bunch into a work document to print. Depending on which size of Tasbasco you use, you’ll need to adjust the size!