Chocolate Banana Hazelnut Cupcakes

Chocolate Banana Hazelnut Cupcakes

Five years ago I decided to finally participate in April Fool’s Day.  I put on Facebook that I was engaged to Trevor Woller.

Was I even dating him? No.

Why did I even do it?  To make another boy jealous.

Do people still ask me how my husband Trevor is doing? You bet.

I haven’t participated in April Fool’s since, and I think it’s for the best.

PS: Trevor is doing great.

[end-story]

Chocolate Banana Hazelnut Cupcakes

Chocolate Banana Cake:
1 box Devil's Food or Chocolate cake mix
1/2 C. oil
3 bananas mashed
1/2 C. milk
2 tsp. vanilla extract
Hazelnut Buttercream:
1 C. butter, softened
1/4-1/3 C. hazelnut creamer powder (carnation is the brand I used)
3-4 C. powdered sugar

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners.
2. Sift cake mix into a small bowl and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine eggs, oil, bananas, milk and vanilla extract until smooth.
4. Stir in cake mix.
5. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 17-22 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
6. Buttercream: Beat butter for 2 minutes. Add hazelnut creamer and beat again. Slowly add powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency. Add 1 Tbsp. milk if it becomes too thick.
7. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes and top with flecks of chocolate and banana slices.

17 thoughts on “Chocolate Banana Hazelnut Cupcakes

Gina says:

Love this- I’m always looking for new ways to use over ripe bananas.

These looks so tasty! I was wondering how to incorporate hazelnut flavor into buttercream. Creamer powder! Who knew? Thanks for the tip!

Sheryl Wagner says:

I have 3 ripe bananas sitting in my pantry waiting to be used in something. It’s like you knew!!! Now I have something to try!!! And I love the idea of powdered creamer for flavor….might need to play around with this a little!!!

Yum! These look so good!
    I love the story; that is just too funny!

Mmm hazelnut buttercream sounds fabulous!!!

My family and I are coming to Portland for a few days, and I was wondering what store you got your liners from? Thanks!! :)

Sarah says:

So the hazelnut powder is the one used in coffee?

Haha I don’t think I’ve ever played a true April Fool’s joke on anyone

Lo says:

Looks and sounds awesome!! Mmmm

Debi says:

I made these in mini cupcakes (72 to be exact) & added peanut butter to the batter! My taste testers LOVED them! I added a heaping tablespoon of organic all natural peanut butter to the icing recipe, too. I sprinkled a few mini semi sweet chocolate chips on top! Since I couldn’t put a fresh slice of banana on top, I bought banana chips & put one chip on top of each cupcake! Bad idea. My taste testers loved the cupcake & icing but ppl didn’t like the banana chip! LOVE my taste testers!! Thank you Lizzy!

Deidre says:

Thank you Lizzy for this beautiful website. It’s now my eye’s favorite (your photography is great) and I hope it’ll be my & my families taste buds favorite once I try these recipes bc they look delicious!

Riki says:

Hello, Where I come from we need to make cakes from scratch as box cakes are rare. Do you have
    great recipes that I could use as base recipe for most cup cakes? Your pictures are gorgeous!

momx5 says:

Your a genius! I use hazelnut coffee syrup, trying not to add too much liquid but to get a good hazelnut taste taste the powder totally makes since. Hazelnut is my son’s favorite, I use the syrup in my batter top with crushed hazelnuts.