My journey of becoming a fabulous cake decorator have been a tad rough. Yes, I am being a tad hard on myself because I’m a perfectionist, but it all pays off in the end! So I’ve been baking and dreading the decorating process and failures as I make buttercreams too thick and fillings too runny, I just needed to bake up a “win.” My Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cupcakes went completely viral 2 years ago, so I figured a spin-off of that recipe was bound to be gorgeous and popular.
Make sure you enter the LASIK giveaway posted yesterday!
And tomorrow I’ll be sharing a few tips of cupcake photography and showing you how I took these photos.
Blueberry Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cupcakes
Blueberry Cinnamon Cake:
- 1 box white cake mix
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 C. melted butter cooled
- 1 C. buttermilk
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 C. blueberries fresh or frozen
Cinnamon Toast Crunch Buttercream:
- 1 C. butter softened
- 1/2 C. Cinnamon Toast Crunch finely crushed
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 4-5 C. powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners.
2. Sift cake mix and cinnamon into a small bowl and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine eggs, butter, buttermilk and vanilla until smooth.
4. Stir in cake mix and cinnamon.
5. Fold in blueberries.
6. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 17-22 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
7. Buttercream: Beat butter for 2 minutes. (Note: Crush cereal using a food processor or a bag and rolling pin, then sift to remove any pieces missed. This ensures a silky texture to your frosting.) Add crushed cereal, milk, vanilla and cinnamon and beat again. Slowly add in powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency.
8. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes and top with cinnamon sugar, cereal pieces and fresh blueberries.
Crushing the cereal with my handy-dandy baby rolling pin.
I always bake using a few different liners to I can decide after they bake which ones will be best for photos.
Who can resist?