The 4th of July is my favorite holiday. The nights are warm, the dark sky gets lit up with colors, the food is good and it just sort of sneaks up on you. There’s so much build up to Christmas that when the day finally comes, it sometimes doesn’t live up to expectations. You don’t get what you want, you get stuck at the airport, it doesn’t snow like it does in the movies… But with the 4th of July, everything is perfect. You have an excuse to wear a ridiculous outfit, tie streamers to tricycles and eat 3 hot dogs with no shame.
Fruity Fourth Cupcakes
- 1 box white cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 C. oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 C. buttermilk or milk
- 1/2 C. sour cream
Whipped Topping: (or you can use a vanilla or cream cheese frosting)
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Fresh blueberries, raspberries and strawberries to decorate
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pan with cupcake liners.
2. Sift cake mix into a small bowl and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine eggs, oil, vanilla extract, buttermilk and sour cream until smooth.
4. Stir in cake mix.
5. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 16-20 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
6. Let cool.
7. Whipped Topping: In a stand mixer with a whisk attachment and a chilled mixing bowl (place in the fridge for a few minutes or run cold water on the outside of it) place cream cheese and powdered sugar and beat until smooth. With the mixer running, stream in whipping cream. Add vanilla extract and whip until stiff peaks form. Store in refrigerator until ready to use.
8. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes and top with fresh fruit.