I thought I was the coolest girl at church.
My mother put blue and purple shimmery eye shadow sticks in my Easter basket that year. Naturally, I was 12 and knew how to wear make up, so I smeared the stuff all over my eye lids. Now, this wasn’t the sheer stuff that just gives you a hint of color, they were like soft crayons that just coated on the color. And glitter. Did I mention that? So not only were my eyelids covered in ugly pastels, but they were also smothered with glitter.
Yes, I was a child of the 90’s and it was the highlight of my Easter outfit at church.[end-story]
Lemon Carrot Cupcakes
- 1 box White or Spice Cake Mix
- 3 tsp. cinnamon not needed if you use a spice cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 C. oil
- 1 C. crushed pineapple with juice
- 1/3 C. brown sugar
- 3 C. carrots grated
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8 oz. cream cheese softened
- 1/2 C. butter softened
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 1 tsp. lemon gelatin powder jello (optional)
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 3-4 C. powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners.
2. Sift cake mix and cinnamon together and set aside.
3. Combine eggs, oil, pineapple, brown sugar, carrots and vanilla extract.
4. Add cake mix/cinnamon and stir well.
5. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 16-22 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
6. Frosting: Beat cream cheese, butter, lemon zest and gelatin for 2 minutes. Add lemon juice and slowly add powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency. If it become too thick, add more lemon juice or milk.
7. Pipe onto cooled cupcake and top with sprinkles.
The lemon gelatin gives an extra punch of flavor and some extra color
If you want a scratch recipe for carrot cake that
you will LOVE, check out this recipe!