Chocolate cupcakes dipped in chocolate ganache and topped with minty Thin Mint cookie frosting! These Thin Mint Cupcakes are adorable and topped with the famous cookies themselves, who could resist? Not me! And you can bet I ate my fair share of cookies while I baked 🙂
I made Thin Mint Cupcakes last year that were topped with a chocolate mint frosting, but this year I really wanted to bring back the GREEN! It’s just more festive when you get the color in there!
Ganache. If you haven’t topped your cupcakes with ganache before, you need to start! It really puts any cupcake over the top and makes each bite taste like a million bucks 🙂 It also helps to seal in the moisture in the cake.
Thin Mint Cupcakes
- 1 box Devil's Food Cake Mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 C. butter melted
- 3/4 C. sour cream
- 3/4 C. buttermilk or milk
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 C. chocolate chips
- 1/3 C. heavy whipping cream
Mint Cookie Frosting:
- 1 C. butter softened
- 1 1/2 tsp. peppermint or mint extract
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3-4 C. powdered sugar more if needed
- greed food coloring
- 10 Thin Mints finely crushed sifted if you want to pipe frosting
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners. (Mine are already grease proof so they keep their color.)
2. Sift cake mix into a large bowl to remove any lumps.
3. Add the rest of the cake ingredients and stir until smooth.
4. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 18-20 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
5. Let cool.
6. Chocolate ganache: Melt chocolate chips and cream together and stir until smooth. You can do this on the stove top or in the microwave.
7. Dip the tops of your cupcakes in the ganache and turn right side up to let set.
8. Mint Cookie Frosting: Beat butter until smooth. Add mint and vanilla extract and 2 cups powdered sugar. Continue to add more powdered sugar until the frosting it thick enough. If it becomes too thick, add a tablespoon of milk. Stir in as much green food coloring as desired and then gently fold in cookie crumbs. (Note: I sifted my crushed cookies because I knew I wanted to pipe out my frosting and I didn't want the tip to get clogged.)
9. Pipe frosting over the ganache on the cupcakes and top with a Thin Mint and extra crushed cookie pieces.