Lemon and chocolate is the most underrated flavor combo. The tangy lemon cake matched with this silky smooth chocolate frosting is incredible. Plus, add a raspberry on top and who can resist? Easter is almost here so you’ll want to make these adorable Coming Up Carrots Cupcakes but don’t forget about this incredible chocolate-lemon flavor mash up! But if you want something all chocolate.. check out my Rocky Road Cupcakes from earlier this week they were divine!
I’m a sucker for lemonade stands.
I’m that person who sees the stand and the cute little girls a little too late and then has to reverse the car back down the street to chip in a few bucks. I never take the lemonade because let’s face it, it’s usually always Crystal Light these days, but I just have to give the girls in the pink polka dots a few bucks to brighten their day.
Money well spent.
Chocolate Lemon Cupcakes
- 1 box white or yellow cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 C. lemon juice
- zest of 2 lemons
- 3/4 C. plain greek yogurt I used Tillamook (or sour cream)
- 1/3 C. oil
- 1 C. butter softened
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 C. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 Tbsp. milk or sour cream I prefer sour cream
- 3-4 C. powdered sugar
Sprinkles and Raspberries for decoration
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners.
2. Sift cake mix into a small bowl and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine eggs, lemon juice, lemon zest, yogurt and oil until smooth.
4. Stir in cake mix and fill cupcake liners 3/4 full.
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
6. Chocolate Frosting: Beat butter until smooth. Add vanilla, cocoa powder, and milk. Slowly add in powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency. Add more milk if the frosting becomes too thick.
7. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes and top with sprinkles and raspberries!
Sometimes taking photos can be difficult if the colors of the cupcake are dull or bland, but these were just so gorgeous…
A simple photo set-up for these beauties
Confession: Topping cupcakes with raspberries is my favorite thing to do 🙂