Oreo Crumb Cupcakes

I am working about 12 hours a day, 6 days a week right now.  So do I have much time to bake?  Sadly not.  But I decided to bake one of my favorite cupcakes and do something a little different with it this time.
         This is a new take on my Oreo Cupcakes and with the help of some buttermilk and some crushing abilities, I have found my new favorite Devil’s Food Cake Mix cake recipe.  Seriously, the cake is fabulous.
Cakes:
Oreo cream from cookies
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 ½- 3 ½ cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons heavy cream or milk
1 cup Oreo crumbs, sifted

1.     Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 24 muffins tins with cupcake liners
2.    Separate about 24 Oreos. Scrape off the cream centers and set aside for later, and put the cookies in the food processor.  Or if you are a poor college student, put them in a plastic bag to crunch by hand.
3.    Sift the crushed Oreos.  You will need 1 cup sifted cookies for the buttercream, so set that aside, and then add the extra sifted cookies to the larger pieces that did not sift.
4.    Place 1 teaspoon of larger/extra sifted cookie into the bottom of each cupcake liner.
5.    In a large bowl, use a whisk to combine water, buttermilk, oil, sour cream and vanilla extract.
6.   One at a time, add the eggs.  Be sure to stir well in between each addition, you do not need to beat the eggs though.
7.    Slowly add Devil’s food cake mix while stirring.
8.   Fill cupcake liners (with the cookie crumbs on the bottom) ¾ full and bake for 13-18 minutes depending on how hot your oven gets.  The tops should spring back when you touch them.
9.   Place into air tight containers as they cool to seal in moisture.
10.Oreo Buttercream:  For 5 minutes, beat cream cheese, butter and the Oreo cream centers you scraped off from the Oreos.
11.   Add vanilla, powdered sugar and heavy cream and let beat again.
12.  Stir in Oreo crumbs and pipe onto cooled cupcakes.

60 thoughts on “Oreo Crumb Cupcakes

Rachel says:

YUM! Can I come steal one?

Louise says:

I've sometimes put half an Oreo cookie as the base for cupcakes but your idea of crushed cookies as a base is much better. Can't wait to make some. Thanks.

Lizzy Mae says:

Louise, that is what I originally did in my Oreo cupcakes, I love doing both!

Sinful Sundays says:

Yum! I love how you actually incorporated the Oreo cream into the icing itself!

Mary says:

Oh my heaven! These sound good. I just recently found your blog. I made the carrot cupcakes with the white chocolate frosting at Easter and they were a big hit.

shabs says:

Oooooh!! these look good , I love your frosting ,it reminds me of the oreos mcflurry ,yummmm!!!

Speedmaster says:

Looks great! 😉

Meamommy says:

Just found your blog tonight when searching for a nutella recipe. I am SO excited about trying all the wonderful sounding recipes on here, I just read through EVERY one and they look amazing!!

when you make a full batch of these cupcakes, how many packages of oreos did you need?

Kristin says:

I made these tonight and it made 23 cupcakes ( regular size ) and I used a whole pack of double stuffed Oreos. (30 cookies)

Lizzy Mae says:

Just one package is plenty, you will have a few extra to snack on the next day:)

Hi Lizzy absolutely love your site! I notice devils food cake is in a lot of your recipes. What quantity is the cake mix you use? Or do you have a recipe for it? I'm in Australia and can't wait to make these tomorrow!

Lizzy Mae says:

The boxes are about 18.25 ounces, I hope you can find some mixes that work in Australia!

Hi Lizzy, I love, love, love your site. All your cupcakes look so delicious and your presentation is gorgeous. I tried making this recipe the cake came out so moist and soft but it fell in the middle. Of course I'm going to try it again but do you have any suggestions on what I may have done wrong?

Lizzy Mae says:

Cupcakes fall for two reasons. First, you over beat your eggs, or second, you open your oven too often to check if they are done. I hope that helps!

Lizzy, this looks like another great recipe! Usually my cupcakes are always falling though too! I was once taught to "rotate" (flip the cupcake pans and turn them 180) half way through baking so that it cooks more evenly… is this opening the oven to check to often though?

Lizzy Mae says:

Turning the cupcake pans around can help in certain ovens. But unless I have to do it, I don't. When you do it, just try to do it as quickly, but more importantly as gently as you can. Don't bump the pans into the back of the oven or into the other pan, this will cause air to release from the cupcakes and it will make them fall. Try adding an extra 1/4 cup of flour to your batter, that always helps me.

Sarah says:

Found you on pinterest & made these tonight for a party – a huge hit! Thank you!

Hailey says:

Made these, and they were amazing! Now I am making a HUGE batch of them for a birthday party. Thanks for the recipe:)

Hi there. I literally just finished making these cupcakes for the first time. I'm curious as to how you got your icing to stand up. I followed it to the tee and ended up with a gray soupy mixture. It tastes good but sadly doens't look as amazing as yours do. What's the secret??

Lizzy Mae says:

Did you melt your butter? If you did, NEVER let your butter melt for buttercream 🙂 Also, just add your powdered sugar slowly until it reaches the right consistency. Depending on the brand you use, it make take more than the recipe calls for. Good luck!

Yes, I warmed both the butter and cream cheese for 30 seconds because they were so cold from the fridge and it was past my bed time ;o). And I didn't add the powdered sugar slowly. Just dumped it all in at one (novice baker!). Does beating it for 5 minutes really make it that fluffy? Or do you find it takes longer than that? PS- thanks for all the recipes. Looking forward to making the Andes Mint ones next.

Also, does it make a difference if you use sweetcream butter or margarine in place of the butter? Do you have a whipped cream frosting recipe just in case there are those that aren't a fan of cream cheese? Thanks again! :o)

Lizzy Mae says:

For a buttercream, just use butter. For a whipped cream frosting recipe, you can check out my Pumpkin Pie cupcakes, or just whip the whipped cream, add 1/2 cup of powdered sugar, then add the oreo crumbs. Good luck!

Lizzy Mae says:

Just beat the butter for a few minute on medium high, You should notice a difference in the texture and color. Also, after you add your powdered sugar, let it beat for 2 minutes.

Awesome! Thank you so much Lizzy! Incredible site. Looking forward to making many more of your recipes 🙂

Kristin Gallahue says:

This is an amazing site! So many creative recipes and the cupcakes look beautiful!

I just finish making this goodies, I just love the texture, they are so moist and heavy…love them. This is my second recipe from your site and I am IN LOVE with the results, NEVER have a cupcake as good as these, I will have my winter vacation at work very soon and I can not wait to be baking ALL YOUR RECIPES!!! I mix both of your Oreo receipes to make this one, and it came up really good (oreo cookie at the bottom and crumbs on the icing) the only problem I have it was the icing, it wasn't hard enough (I have the same problem when I make Andes mint cholocate cupcakes), and no, didn't melt the butter and yes, I add one extra cup of confectionary sugar…any other suggestions?? THANKS SO MUCH FOR SHEARING!!! ….Fatima

Forgot to ask you Lizzy, what camera do you use to shot your pictures?? love the detail and how clear the zooming image comes out..great photography!!…Fatima

Lizzy Mae says:

Fatima, I will be doing a buttercream tutorial soon, so hopefully that will help you out. What I usually do, is just keep adding powdered sugar until the consistency is right. As for my camera. Up until about 5 posts ago, I used a Canon Powershot that is 10 years old. Now I use a beautiful T3i, but I have no idea how to use it.

Lizzy….you ROCK!!!!! thanks A LOT for all your tips and comments, I am baking a crazy combination between your receipes and some ideas on on my own. Walnut cranberry muffins! I will let you know how it went. BTW it looks like your recepes are for a great size 24 cupcakes all the time. Thanks for the tips about the camera, mine sucks when it comes to food photography, I will check that Cannon Powershot for sure!!! beatiful work Lizzy….Fatima

Rachel says:

Just finished making a batch of these and they are outstanding! What a fantastic recipe. Thanks for sharing

Jackie says:

I just made these cupcakes last weekend. everyone LOVED them You’re recipes are wonderful! I can’t wait to make some of the other ones! Keep posting!!!!!!! 🙂

[…] (via Your Cup Of Cake) […]

Tiffany says:

Hey just wondering do you have to add sour cream cause I dont like sour cream! Is there a replacement?:) thanks!

[…] day to call, skype, or treat your mother to breakfast in bed!  My mother and I made these fabulous Cookies & Cream Cupcakes this morning and will be taking them around to friends later […]

Leslie says:

Hi Lizzy just wondering if you have some suggestions for those of us who live at high altitude? Baking is a challenge!

Lizzy Mae says:

I do most of my baking at high altitude. Send me an email and I will let you know some tips!

• Rita Raines says:

Hi Lizzy,
        I love your cupcakes!!! I also live at high altitude and was hoping you can share some tips with me as well. I’m at 3500 feet so I think I’m right on the line for high altitude baking.
        Thanks!

[…] here for the […]

[…] and with an Oreo on top everyone just loves them.  (See my Original Oreo Cupcake recipe and my Oreo Crumb Cupcake recipe.) But this time around, I wanted something a little lighter, but still just as fun and tastey as an […]

Kirsten says:

I was just wondering if you have a recommended cake mix brand that you use most? Or even better, if you have an alternative recipe instead of a cake mix. Thanks!

Beverly says:

HI! Thanks for sharing this recipe, I tried it and turned out wonderful. However, I was wondering how to make the oreo crumbs crunchy? Because after it is baked the oreo crumbs becomes soft, is it supposed to be like that?

Thanks so much!

Linda says:

Lizzy,

I made these for my sister Lesley birthday and she loved them and our friends.
    Thank you for the best cupcake I have ever tried.
    Linda

Shadae says:

i use 24 cookies for this recipe is thaat right?

Cupcake ME says:

i had looking for a nice oreo cupcake recipe but i couldn’t find something.Now i foynd this amazing recipe!i will do it now! 🙂

peisan says:

Chanced upon your website and i found this recipe. I intend to do it tomorrow morning…Just wondering what happen if we did not place them in a air-tight container for cooling? Does it affect the texture or so? or what can i add on to sustain the same texture? And do i have to fridge it after fosting? What can i do to hold fosting without placing them in fridge?

Sorry for the so-many questions….
    P/S: i love how you present your pictures….they are look amazing…

ELENACUPCAKE says:

Awesome recipe! UR amazing!!!!!
    Have you got a recipe with rainbow cupcakes with rainbow cake and rainbow glace?

Leanna says:

Hi,
    I hope you Don’t mind me asking… but i was wondering about how much you sell your cupcakes for? I know it varies by cupcake because of ingredients. an average would be fine:) Thanks!