I used to love chocolate. I thought the people who got plain vanilla ice cream were weird. Why get vanilla when you have the option of getting chocolate? But ever since I really started baking, I have been obsessed with vanilla–especially vanilla cake. Call me “boring,” but vanilla cake with chocolate buttercream is my favorite. It’s just so classic. No crazy flavors of fillings or toppers. Just a classic combination. [end-story]
Classic Chocolate Vanilla Cupcakes
- 1 Box white cake mix
- 1/3 cup oil
- 4 egg whites
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- milk if needed
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pan with cupcake liners.
2. In a large bowl, gently combine oil, egg whites, buttermilk, sour cream and vanilla extract.
3. Sift in cake mix and stir.
4. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 17-22 minutes, or until and inserted knife comes out clean.
5. Buttercream: Beat butter and cream cheese for 3 minutes, scrape down bowl as needed. Add cocoa powder, vanilla extract and slowly add powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency. If your buttercream becomes too thick, add 1 tablespoon of milk.
6. Pipe buttercream onto cool cupcakes and top with sprinkles.