I love all the cheesy activities that come with October. I love apple cider, pumpkin patches, toasting pumpkin seeds, hay rides, corn mazes, carving pumpkins and dunking apples in caramel. However, as pretty as I can get my cupcakes, that’s how ugly my carmel apples turn out every year. They look pretty for about 5 seconds, and then the caramel sluffs off taking all the drizzled chocolate and candies with it, making a big puddle of calories on the plate.
Caramel Apple Cupcakes
- 1 box white cake mix
- 2 tsp. cinnamon or apple pie spice
- 3 eggs
- ¼ C. butter melted and cooled
- ¼ C applesauce
- 1 C. milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 ½ C. peeled and chopped apple
- 1 C. butter softened
- 2 Tbsp. caramel sauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3-4 C. powdered sugar
Melted caramels for drizzling
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners.
2. Sift cake mix and cinnamon in to a small bowl and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine eggs, butter, applesauce, milk and vanilla extract together.
4. Stir in cake mix until smooth.
5. Stir in chopped apples.
6. Fill cupcake liners ¾ full and bake for 17-22 minutes of until an inserted knife comes out clean.
7. Buttercream: Beat butter for 1 minute. Add caramel and vanilla extract and continue to beat. Slowly add powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency.
8. Pipe buttercream onto cooled cupcakes and top with melted caramel.