Piping Tips

The Story:  I always get emails and questions about what piping tips I use.  I thought I might as well just make a post of it.  I have about 30 tips, but these are the ones I use the most for basic piping.

Piping Video Tutorial

The bottom row of tips are all “Closed Star” tips.  This means they are a zig-zag pattern and they start to close-in at the top.

The top middle and top right tips are “Open Star” tips.  They have a zig-zag pattern, but they stay straight and do not curve in.

The top left is the basic circle tip.  It may seem like the plainest, so you may think it is the easiest to use.  but NO!  This is the most difficult tip to use because it shows every flaw.  If you can master the basic circle tip, you know you have reached a professional level 🙂

If you are confused by the brand…just google the name of the tip and you can find a Wilton or another brand that looks just like it.  Some baking shops like to carry specific brands, so your shop may not have Ateco.  If all else fails, order it online!

26 thoughts on “Piping Tips

Rachel says:

Thanks for the tips!!

Sorry, I couldn’t resist 🙂

It is helpful to see the differences in each tip. I’m a novice piper, so the instruction is greatly appreciated!

Jenny says:

THANK YOU!!! You have no idea how hard it’s been to find tips that are actually these sizes. I love your site, emails and Facebook page. Keep up the great work! 🙂

Leigh Ann says:

Beautiful! Thank you for this. I’m going to try the Butterfinger cupcakes for tomorrow’s small group.

Thanks for sharing this! I’m always wanting to try new tips but I’m not sure exactly how it will turn out when I’m just looking at the tip so thanks for the picture!

Kyle says:

Thanks for the great chart of tips and the designs they make. It’s a great reference.

Shabs says:

Thank you so much for this valuable info :D.

xiaoxi says:

Which one did you use for the Rose Frosting. I think that is the prettiest among them.

Kim says:

This is perfect timing! My daughter is hosting a baby shower and serving cupcakes, and I’ve sent her the link. I look forward to trying them, too. Thanks!

Jessy says:

How great is this! Thank you so much for posting this. It always helps to have a photo to help you remember which tip makes which pattern!

Lizzy this is fantastic! I just pinned it on Pinterest because the world needs to know about this! =)

Andrea says:

Will the Ateco tips fit on the Wilton couplers? Thanks!

[…] you like my post last week about piping tips?  Well guess what, there is a video tutorial to go along with […]

Delores C. says:

Thanks for the tutorial. I enjoyed watching as I am a beginner to the cupcake game. I am glad that I can re-watch the video just for reasurrance. I like the different styles that come from each tip.

Mai-Britt says:

Thanks for the good info!!

The hardest thing I find with the plain tip, especially with yellows and browns, is stopping it looking like the cats got into the kitchen… :s

carissa says:

Hi, Iwanted to know where exactly online is a good site to order the tips from? thank you

heather says:

Thanks for these awesome tips and tricks. So excited to start learning.

Dwra says:

I have tried to decorate my cupcakes using wilton 2d and wilton 1b tips. However even in straight line my icing does not form the wanted zig-zag pattern. Should I blame the thickness and the consistency of my icing or should I consider my piping technique as the only problem?

Carolyn says:

where can I purchase greaseless cup cake papers?

Grease proof liners? You can find them on Amazon, in specialty bakery stores in town, they are starting to be at most walmarts, targets and other places. Michaels and Hobby Lobby have them too. But I get mine from Sweets and Treats Boutique online and TheBakersKitchen.net online

Afton says:

Thank you so much I just pinned it. That answered all my questions.