Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes

Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes

I know what you’re thinking, “Peanut Butter and Chocolate has already been done Lizzy, get creative!” Yes, it’s been done. I have even done it about 10 times, but that’s because it’s so good! These cupcakes sort of sneak attack you with peanut butter because everything about the cake is brown, so if you don’t top them with peanut butter cups, it will be like a surprise party in your mouth. SURPRISE! It’s me…PEANUT BUTTER! And if that surprise isn’t enough, there is always the peanut butter filled cupcakes for even more surprise!
[end-story]

2/3 C. chocolate chips or melts
Peanut Butter Chocolate Frosting:
1/2 C. butter, softened
1/2 C. creamy peanut butter
1/2 C. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 Tbsp. milk (more if needed)
3-4 C. powdered sugar

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners.
2. Sift cake mix into a small bowl and set aside.
3. In a large bowl combine remaining cake ingredients until smooth. (Make sure to let your melted butter cool a little, you don't want to cook the eggs.)
4. Stir in cake mix and fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 16-22 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
5. Let cool, then prepare ganache.
6. Ganache: Place peanut butter and chocolate in a small microwave proof bowl. Melt in the microwave for about 45 seconds or on the stove top and stir until smooth.
7. Dip the tops of your cooled cupcake into the ganache, then turn right side up and let the ganache cool for about 15 minute.
8. Peanut Butter Chocolate Frosting: Beat butter, peanut butter and cocoa powder for 2 minutes. Scrape down bowl and add vanilla and milk. Slowly add powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency. If it becomes too thick, add more milk.
9. Pipe over the ganache layer and top with chopped up peanut butter cups.

Peanut Butter Chocolate CupcakesChocolate Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes

36 thoughts on “Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes

Kim says:

How many chocolate chips on the peanut butter ganache? I think there’s a typo. Thanks! They look yummy.

These look amazing! If my son’s preschool wasn’t “nut free” I’d totally make these for his birthday this week!

Mom of 3 says:

What a lovely recipe! We have added this on the diet to lose 30 pounds, the cupcakes will be used as a night time treat.

Tia Annie says:

I’m not a fan of peanut butter, but these cupcakes look amazing!!

I’ll definitely give them a try:)

Thank you Lizzie.

Bailey says:

yum!! so it’s like a peanut butter cup, but instead of chocolate its cake!!! YUM!!

Christie says:

I’m curious which tip you used to pipe the buttercream. Thanks so much!

Tia Annie says:

Hi Lizzy, I just made these delicious cupcakes!!!
    They’re off the hook!!
    The frosting is super delicious and creamy.
    Thank you so very much for this recipe.

hello! it would be useful if you could include which piping tip you used for the frosting!:) Thanks! It would soooo helpful if you could post a video of you doing the frosting!

Some of my tips aren’t very common, so I find it’s more confusing to post the tip. I use a closed star tip the size of a Wilton 2D, but it’s more open than that one. Go to YouTube and type in “Your Cup of Cake” to find my piping tutorial!

PB and chocolate combinations will never ever get old. Ever. These look lovely 🙂

Jaclyn says:

Peanut butter and chocolate is my favorite combo! Seriously love these cupcakes Lizzy! You should enter them in the Cupcake Crown contest: http://www.celebrations.com/cupcakecrown/

Brianna Lamb says:

Made these cupcakes this weekend for family birthdays! They were amazing and a big hit! This is a great recipe!

[…] for the my inner 6-year-old. Something with peanut butter, but a little different than the typical peanut butter cupcakes I would normally […]

April says:

I just made these cupcakes and everything turned out awesome except the frosting. Not sure what i did wrong but it turned out very grainy and not as light looking as yours 🙂 Anytime I need a cupcake recipe I come to your site first. Keep up the great work.

Sarah Hancock says:

I was wondering if Adams Peanut Butter will work. Or even homemade PB in my vitamix? Or is the consistency too different? They look so good!!

Jess says:

Salted or unsalted butter?

Ian says:

Just made these—-amazing, as usual 🙂

Jane A says:

Thanks for the great recipe! I made these today and they were wonderful! I had to make a little more ganache to get all 24 cupcakes dipped but there was plenty of icing for all (and even some left over for me :)) Will be making these again!

Kat says:

Love this recipe! Came across it Google searching cupcake recipes with the box of devil’s food cake mix I found in my cabinet. Made them last night with my daughter & they were so easy! The frosting was delicious too, not overly sweet. I’m glad we used mini cupcake tins because they’re so decadent. Will definitely make these again. Thanks!

Samantha says:

Hi!! My buttercreams always seem to fall apart when I use 2D or 1M tips as I’m piping them. Any ideas of how to fix that? Thanks!! 🙂

Fall apart? What I do a lot is take the tip of a knife and bend the spokes of the tips apart a little bit to help it be a little more open. It helps so I don’t get clogs in my frosting as well.

• Samantha says:

The strands (?) fall apart if that makes any sense?? It ends up looking like noodles. I’ll try to pry them apart to see if that helps! Thanks so much. I’m loving your site. My husband not so much because all I want to do it bake! 🙂 🙂

• Samantha says:

Thanks!! Worked beautifully. I made the Orange Cream Soda cupcakes from your book. Great tip.

L.J says:

I noticed a typo. There is no mention of when you are to add the sifted cake mix. Thanks

Melissa says:

Just wondering if the cake part is light or is it dense?

Erin L. says:

Just made these but filled them with a peanut butter cream. The cake batter was amazing!!

Samantha says:

Hi! Can I substitute a 1/2 cup oil for the 1/2 cup melted butter? Thanks!!

Merete says:

Hi.. I have just tried to make this frosting today and I have a question regarding it. You say 3-4 cups of powdered sugar, but when I had added about 6 Tbsp of powdered sugar the frosting had become way to dry! I stopped adding the powdered sugar and had to add 2 or 3 additional Tbsp of milk to make it possible to pipe out on the cakes. Now, I live in Denmark and I’m just wondering whether the peanut butter in the US is very watery? Here it’s quite firm in texture. That’s, off hand, the only ingredient that could make my frosting different from yours.
    In the end my frosting turned out great, so it wasn’t a problem, but I just don’t understand the vastly different amounts of powdered sugar needed 🙂