This Pumpkin Coffee Cake looks as good as it tastes! Pair it with your morning cup of coffee or a mug of hot chocolate to start off the perfect fall day. Or grab a slice and climb back into bed and work on your computer…either way, you’re going to love it!
I made a delicious Caramel Apple Coffee Cake a few weeks ago and it reminded me how much I love coffee cakes! I’m not a coffee drinker, but growing up in raining Oregon I remember spending a lot of time in cozy Starbucks’ sipping on hot chocolate and caramel apple cider with a big slice of coffee cake. For those of you who don’t know, coffee cake actually doesn’t have coffee in it. It’s traditionally a single layered cake with a streusel topping and sometimes with an icing. It’s usually served with coffee, so that’s how it got it’s name.
I really wanted to master the bakery icing drizzle… Usually my icing just soaks into the cake, which tastes delicious but doesn’t do my photos any justice! So when you’re making the icing, it will be really thick but don’t add any more milk. Just pour your icing into a little ziplock bag, snip off the corner to make a mini piping bag and drizzle it over the cake! It turned out beautifully!
Are you diving into pumpkin recipes yet? It’s one of my favorite flavors so my kitchen is bursting with the stuff! I’ve never been great at decorating caramel apples, so I guess I’m just trying to make up for that with the pumpkin cakes 🙂 My most popular recipe of last year was my Pumpkin Dump Cake where I also tell everyone about how my boyfriend dumped me… hopefully it was a popular post because of the recipe and not because people liked reading about me getting dumped, ha!
Makes you want to grab a fork, eh?
Those are some mighty fine looking drizzles…
Pumpkin Coffee Cake
- PUMPKIN CAKE:
- 2 C. flour
- 1 tsp.baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 1 C. pumpkin puree NOT pumpkin pie filling
- 3/4 C. brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 6 Tbsp. flour
- 6 Tbsp.white sugar
- 6 Tbsp. brown sugar packed
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp. butter melted
- 1 C. powdered sugar
- 2-3 Tbsp. milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease (or line with parchment) a 9-inch square pan.
2. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg together.
3. In a separate bowl, combine egg, pumpkin, brown sugar, vegetable oil, milk and vanilla extract.
4. Combine the wet and the dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Do not over mix. Pour into prepared pan and spread out evenly.
5. Topping: Combine all ingredients and sprinkle over cake batter.
6. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean from the center.
7. Let cool.
8. Icing: Whisk powdered sugar with 2 tablespoons of milk, add a little more milk if needed (I didn't need it). Drizzle over cake and serve!
Recipe adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction!
Remember that Caramel Apple Coffee Cake I was telling you about? Yeah, it’s pretty much a dream come true.