I loved to go to the grocery store when I was younger. It would just be me and my father, we’d each get a 25 cent soda (usually grape) and we would roam the store. He would always sneak a chocolate covered nut and I could never pass by the coconuts without giving them a good shake to hear the milk slosh around.
Coconut Rice Crispy Treats
- 2 1/2 C. shredded coconut
- 1 bag miniature marshmallows (10 or 12 oz bag)
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1 1/2 tsp. coconut extract
- 6 C. rice puff cereal
- 3 C. coconut M&M's
Melted Chocolate and Extra Toasted Coconut for decoration
- 1. Spread shredded coconut evenly onto a cookie sheet and broil on low for 2 minutes (watch carefully!). Shake pan to toss and continue to broil for another minute if needed. You want to to be light brown.
- 2. Prepare a 8X13 pan by greasing with butter or lining with parchment or foil.
- 3. In a large microwave proof bowl, place marshmallow, butter and coconut extract. Microwave for 1 minute and then stir and continue to microwave in 20 second intervals until smooth.
- 4. Pour in rice cereal and stir until coated.
- 5. Add shredded coconut (save a little for decoration at the end if desired) and stir.
- 6. Fold in M&M’s. (You can also break up Almond Joys or Mounds.)
- 7. Dump into your prepared pan and press with buttered fingers to flatten.
- 8. Drizzle with melted chocolate and sprinkle with extra coconut for decoration.