I loved to go to the grocery store when I was younger. It would just be me and my father, we’d each get a 25 cent soda (usually grape) and we would roam the store. He would always sneak a chocolate covered nut and I could never pass by the coconuts without giving them a good shake to hear the milk slosh around.
Coconut Rice Crispy Treats
- 2 1/2 C. shredded coconut
- 1 bag miniature marshmallows 10 or 12 oz bag
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1 1/2 tsp. coconut extract
- 6 C. rice puff cereal
- 3 C. coconut M&M's
Melted Chocolate and Extra Toasted Coconut for decoration
1. Spread shredded coconut evenly onto a cookie sheet and broil on low for 2 minutes (watch carefully!). Shake pan to toss and continue to broil for another minute if needed. You want to to be light brown.
2. Prepare a 8X13 pan by greasing with butter or lining with parchment or foil.
3. In a large microwave proof bowl, place marshmallow, butter and coconut extract. Microwave for 1 minute and then stir and continue to microwave in 20 second intervals until smooth.
4. Pour in rice cereal and stir until coated.
5. Add shredded coconut (save a little for decoration at the end if desired) and stir.
6. Fold in M&M's. (You can also break up Almond Joys or Mounds.)
7. Dump into your prepared pan and press with buttered fingers to flatten.
8. Drizzle with melted chocolate and sprinkle with extra coconut for decoration.