Cute and easy Christmas cookies! These Ornament Sugar Cookies are festive, fun and perfect for your cookie decorating parties!
Looking for a new way to decorate your sugar cookies this Christmas? Try decorating ornament sugar cookies using Rolos, M&M’s and some frosting! All you need is a simple circle cookie cutter to get started!
Frosted Ornament Sugar Cookies
This is such a perfect way to make adorable Christmas sugar cookies. Sometimes sugar cookie decorating can feel overwhelming if you don’t have all the fancy things like gel food coloring, meringue powder, or have time to learn how to properly flood and pipe on royal icing. Guess what, you can still make a show-stopper sugar cookies with just some frosting and store-bought candies!
Roll out your cookie dough between two pieces of parchment! I do this with all my pies 🙂 It’s a great trick because you don’t have to add a bunch of flour and it also makes the clean up so easy!
Just peel it away when the dough is about 1/4 of an inch and use your cookie cutters to cut out your shapes!
Transfer cookie dough shapes to a baking sheet, bake and let cool on wire racks! No need to wrap in plastic wrap and chill the dough! This sugar cookie recipe is no-fuss!
Three simple steps to cute Ornament Cookies: Frost, Rolo, M&M. Done!
I did this same decoration on top of cupcakes last year and they were just so adorable I had to do them on cookies this year!
Decorating Ornamant Sugar Cookies
- CLASSIC SOFT SUGAR COOKIES:
- 3 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1/4 cup Crisco shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- optional flavor options: lemon zest, orange zest, rum extract, almond extract
- Powdered Sugar Frosting
- Rolos The bags have individually wrapped ones but the "sticks" are unwrapped in side
- Mini M&M's or an small candy!
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with parchment paper.
2. Whisk flour, baking soda and salt together in a bowl and set aside.
3. In a stand mixer, beat butter, Crisco shortening and sugar together for 2 minutes. Add egg, rum extract, vanilla extract and sour cream and beat until combined.
4. Add flour mixture and stir only until combined.
6. Roll out onto a lightly floured surface. I rolled mine out to about 1/4 of an inch but you can make yours as thick or thin as you like! (The thicker the cookie the more time in the oven and the thinner the less time.) Cut out using desired shape and place on cookie sheets.
7. Bake for 7-10 minutes depending on how soft you like your cookies!
8. Let cool.
9. To decorate like ornaments: Frost cookies with your desired color and flavor of frosting. Top with a Rolo (wrapped or unwrapped and Reese's Cups work too!). And use mini M&M's to make stripes and designs. Ta-dah! So fun and easy!
Did you see my cute Rudolph Cookies from yesterday?