Oreos are one of my total guilty pleasures. A good movie, a big blanket, a sleeve of Oreos and a glass of cold milk is a perfect night to me. These Mint Oreo Cupcakes are delicious! Chocolate cake with a hidden Oreo baked into the bottom, fluffy-minty-cream cheesy-Oreo-frosting and an Oreo on top!
On a side note: I’ve been having some issues with my emailing service sending out my posts, so if you missed my post from yesterday you missed an insight into my single life, so feel free to read all about it 🙂
Hopefully this post get’s emailed out… crossing my fingers!
My parents feel old because they can remember when going to the movies cost less than 2 bucks. I feel old because I remember a time when Oreos only came in one flavor.
Mint Oreo Cupcakes
Chocolate Cake with Oreo Bottoms:
- 20-24 Mint Oreos
- 1 box Devil's Food Cake Mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 C. oil
- 1 C. buttermilk
- 1/2 C. sour cream
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
Mint Oreo Frosting:
- 1/2 C. butter softened
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 1 1/2 tsp. peppermint extract
- 1 Tbsp. milk
- 3-4 C. powdered sugar
- green food dye
- 6 Mint Oreos finely crushed*
Extra Oreos for decoration
- *NOTE: You can crush your Oreos whole with the filling in a food processor or take out the filling and crush just the chocolate cookies in a plastic bag with a rolling pin. If I do it the second way, I like to put the crushed cookies through ha sifter and only use what falls through. I only use the small pieces because I don't want to clog my piping tip.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners.
2. Place an oreo on the bottom of each cupcake liner. (You can twist the oreos and remove one of the chocolate "cookies" if you want. Just place the Oreo cream side up in the pans. You can use the Oreo cookie you removed for either decoration at the end or to crush and make your frosting!
3. Sift cake mix into a small bowl and set aside.
4. In a large bowl, combine eggs, oil, buttermilk, sour cream and vanilla extract until smooth.
5. Stir in cake mix.
6. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 15-20 minute or until an inserted knife comes out clean. Make sure to not bake your cupcakes on the bottom rack or else it might burn the Oreos on the bottom. If you're afraid of burning them, you can always chop up the Oreos and fold them into the batter instead of leaving them whole on the bottom on the liners.
7. Let cool.
8. Mint Oreo Frosting: Beat butter and cream cheese for 2 minutes. Add peppermint extract, milk and slowly add in powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency. Add green dye one drop at a time until you like the color. Stir in your crushed Oreos, but don't over mix or else it will start to turn the frosting grey.
9. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes and top with extra Mint Oreos for decoration!
These gorgeous grease proof liners are from Sweets & Treats
PS: did you see my Mint Brownies from last week?