Caramel Apple Cupcakes

1 box French vanilla cake mix
1 can apple pie filling
1 teaspoon apple pie spice
Caramel Cream Cheese Buttercream:
½ cup butter
8 oz cream cheese
¼ cup caramel sauce (store bought)
2 - 3 cups powdered sugar
1.     Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2.    Open the can of pie filling.  Using a knife, slice the large pieces of apple into smaller, bite-sized pieces.  I did this with the filling still in the can by inserting the knife into the center and letting it hit the bottom and then cutting against the wall of the can all the way around.
3.    In a bowl, mix together the cake mix, eggs, pie filling and apple pie spice.  If you don’t have apple pie spice you can use cinnamon and nutmeg.
4.    Spoon batter into cupcake liners and bake for 14-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
5.    Buttercream:  Beat butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy, it will take a few minutes.  Add caramel and beat again.
6.   Add powdered sugar until you reach the desired taste.  The consistency might be too loose to pipe, so refrigerate the buttercream until it stiffens.
7.    Pipe onto cooled cupcakes and drizzle with caramel.

A poor college student recipe.

41 thoughts on “Caramel Apple Cupcakes

Katie Jensen says:

This looks SOOO GOOD!!!! i should not be allowed to read your blog when i'm not in provo…because i can't partake of these.

~Judy~ says:

This looks too pretty to eat!

Clark Wilkes says:

Don't worry Katie, I ate one for you!

Leigh Anne @YourHomebased Mom says:

These look amazing! Can't wait to try them. How many did Clark eat??

Lizzy Mae says:

I believe his total ended up being 4.

Shabs says:

Wowowo , these cupcakes look so pretty !

Abbie says:

I am making these cupcakes right now! I can't wait to try them, they smell amazing!!

How long should the frosting sit in the fridge for?

Amber says:

Since the frosting needs to sit in the fridge to firm up to pipe, does that mean that if it sits out for a couple hours, it will start to melt?

Also, could you use applesauce instead of apple pie filling?

Thanks!

Lizzy Mae says:

Amber, if you don't want to chill the buttercrean, just add more powdered sugar to make it stiff enough at room temperature.

Amber says:

Thanks for the quick reply (and another great recipe), Lizzy! I'm so excited to try these out, but didn't want the frosting to start to melt while they are waiting to be eaten at the function I'm serving them at…

Now all I need is the apple pie filling!

Splendid Things says:

Making these this week! Should any leftover cupcakes (yeah right!) be stored in refrigerator due to the cream cheese or is covered at room temp ok?

i'm planning to use this recipe in a cupcake contest, and i don't wanna use french vanilla boxed cake mix cause it's not allowed.what should i substitute for the french vanilla boxed cake mix??? reply highly needed! =) thanks so much, and btw, the frosting is amazing!!!! =D

Lizzy Mae says:

Use a basic vanilla cake recipe, but omit any oil and butter because the pie filling replaces that. Make sure to use all the basics… flour, baking soda, salt, sugar and then the spices and eggs.

Just made these and they are great and easy! The only thing is if you are piping the icing make double. I only applied a small blob to mine and it only iced 15 out of 20 cupcakes. I just scraped icing from the bowl and spread on for the other 5!

How many ounces of apple pie filling? I am making these as I'm typing this and my can of filling is 21oz. Is that what you used? HELP!! :)

Lizzy Mae says:

YES! That sounds good, good luck!

Would it Be good to make it as a cake as well? It looks really good and I want to try it for my sisters birthday but she insists on a cake instead of cupcakes.

Lizzy Mae says:

Yes! It would be a great cake!

Katy says:

How would one go about making this as an 8″ cake? Would I double, triple or more the recipes? How long would I bake each layer (want 2 layers). Do you know if it tastes as yummy if you don’t use the cake mix and use a vanilla cake recipe? I have made these as cupcakes but would really like to do it as a cake. Please let me know if you would. Thanks!

Lizzy Mae says:

This recipe would make a 8 inch cake. If you use a regular vanilla cake recipe, just substitute some of the liquid for the apple filling. You also can use a little less oil/butter. Good luck!

Lindsay says:

I love all your cupcake recipes!! Just made these today and took them to work, BIG hit!! Thanks!!

Aurelia says:

beatiful, love the caramel on top!

Janice says:

Maded your cupcakes for work and was a very big hit with everyone. I hope you don’t mind but I added 1 teaspoon of maple extract to the frosting too. This is a keeper! Thank you for posting this recipe.

Dorthea says:

What is apple pie spice??

MrsAB says:

OMGoodness!!!! I made these Sunday night and did not have one until last evening. Simply divine!!! I topped it with a fresh apple slice and caramel. Yummy. Highly recommended.

Lizzy, is there any way to keep the icing firm once it has left the refrigerator if not eating right away?

Kirsten says:

Hey there. I was planning on making these for a work potluck this Weds. and I noticed you told an anonymous user to omit the butter and the oil if she was going to make it from scratch. Should I do that with the box mix as well? It’s not quite clear in your instructions if we should make the box mix according to the packages directions and add the extra ingredients or if just the box’s dry ingredients are used. I’m guessing it’s the latter but please let me know.

Nichole says:

Made these with my bestie a couple of months ago…loved them! She has since made them for a work party potluck Nd turned it into cake for her daughters first birthday party 2 weeks ago. Always a hit! I read someone post about you having a recipe book…any links to that? Can’t wait. My goal is to expand ,y culinary ineptitude starting with your yummy cupcakes!

Donna says:

What size apple pie filling?

Heather C says:

I tried these last yr after my friend sent me a pic of the recipe…
    I lost it… And have been searching google for over an hour
    looking for this!!! So glad I found it! Thanks!

Laura Higgins says:

My husband said this was my best ever cupcake. I, too, put a slice of apple on top.

Nicole says:

Hello! I’m baking these right now for thanksgiving tomorrow and was wondering if i could use the Kraft Caramel Bits and melt them down for the frosting and the drizzle or if I need to use actual caramel sauce.

Thanks!

Lani Goldstein says:

I make these cupcakes all the time and everyone loves them!! I’ve even won cook-off’s with them at work and with an association I belong to. These are the best cupcakes I’ve ever had. THANK YOU!!!!

carrie says:

These cupcakes are delicious and have wowed many of my friends!! Easier to make than a straight cake mix!! I’ve made them 3 times now. 2 thumbs up.