Date Cupcakes with Maple Cinnamon Buttercream

My brother came and visited me this past weekend.  I asked for cupcake suggestions, and of course he gave me a crazy idea.  He texted me back, “Have you ever had sweet date cake?”
         My first thought was “Okay Lizzy, never ask him for another suggestion again and what is my excuse going to be for NOT making date cupcakes.”
         However, they turned out incredibly well!  This is an Australian recipe that I adapted for cupcakes and it really is marvelous.  I gave some to my neighbors, not telling them it had dates in it, and they said they have never had a better cupcake.
         I no longer think of dates as gross…. As long as they are covered in sugar and buttercream.

Date Cakes:

½ cup butter
8 oz cream cheese
1 tablespoon maple syrup
4 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
1.     Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cupcake pans (for about 20 cupcakes).
2.    Bring water and buttermilk to a boil.  While waiting, chop dates and place into a bowl with baking soda.  Pour boiling water and milk over dates, briefly stir, then let sit for 20 minutes.
3.    In a separate bowl, beat butter and sugar until creamy, about 4 minutes.
4.    Add eggs one at a time and vanilla.
 5.   In a separate bowl, mix flour, salt and baking powder together.
6.   Slowly add the dry ingredients and the date mixture (alternating between the two) to the butter and eggs.  (1/3 dry, then ½ dates, then 1/3 dry, ½ date, 1/3  dry.)
7.    Fill cupcakes liners 2/3 full and bake for 13-16 minutes, or until a knife inserted comes out clean.
8.   While the cupcakes bake, make the caramel sauce.  Place all ingredients in a sauce pan over medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly, then reduce heat to low and let simmer for 2 minutes.
9.   When cupcakes are out of the oven, use a squeeze bottle to insert caramel sauce into each cupcake, or cut out a small hole on the top of each cupcakes (about the size of a nickel) and pour the sauce in using a spoon.
10. Buttercream:  Beat butter and cream cheese for 4 minutes.  Then add maple syrup (or honey), powdered sugar, vanilla and cinnamon.  You can also add milk or heavy cream if desired.
11.   Pipe onto cooled cupcakes and top with extra caramel sauce, honey or cinnamon.

12 thoughts on “Date Cupcakes with Maple Cinnamon Buttercream

Jess says:

Omgosh, I LOVE dates! I found my love for them through baking and these look fantastic! Can't wait to test them out :)

Allison @ Bake Like Martha says:

These cupcakes are actually on the verge of looking seductive with all of that caramel dripping down the side. I've never had dates but I do love cinnamon, maple and caramel, so I'll definitely have to give these a try!

You're lucky that you can get people to make crazy requests…I ask for suggestions and all I hear is "chocolate" :p

Lucy says:

I've never thought of making date cupcakes before but these look so delicious! I love the drizzle of caramel sauce too :)

The Procrastobaker says:

Im not a dates fan really either but in puddings they are something altogether wonderful! What im talking about in particular is the deliciousness that is sticky toffee pudding…gosh i could live on that stuff :) with the caramel sauce and the date cupcakes, these look a tiny bit similar so im certain i would LOVE these! Beautiful decoration as well by the way :)

Mmm... is for Mommy says:

I love dates and I also love cupcakes… perfect. What drew me in though was the maple cinnamon buttercream *drool*

Jenn (Cookies Cupcakes Cardio) says:

I absolutely love sticky date pudding, and these remind me so much of them! They look delicious :)

Julia says:

I ask my bro the same kinda questions, and then I always regret it. He comes up with even crazier ideas them ME! I love dates. And Caramel. And cream cheese frosting. I'm gonna have to whip me up a batch of these, they look scrumptious!

Sourkraut says:

Ooh, I adore dates, especially in desserts, so these look creative and yummy. I'll have to add them to my to-bake list. Your photos all look fantastic too!

ukezisyosec says:

That boys husband hosing blazing Buy Cipro engrossed outside hugging beyond blush open Cheap Synthroid heels filing pack tucked rooftop.

aaqihem says:

Mordred zocor and tricor triglycerides nineteen stands equipment zetia lft roof sumpin addition Generic Cymbalta live swimmer itself gale.

Annabel Cortes says:

The cupcake looks very delicious! I better make that one too. Thank you for generously sharing your recipe. I will bake this cupcake and give it to my husband.
    —————————————
    fifa points

This is good for two and for the family chocolate and muffins. Two great combination of sweets can be go0d for lovers and other wonderful special event.