Dark Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Buttercream

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to be filmed by a local television station as I handed out cupcakes on campus.  I needed to bring a cupcake that I knew everyone would like.  This one tastes like a chocolate chip cookie and who doesn’t like one of those?

Dark Chocolate Chip Cakes:

Cream Cheese Buttercream:
16 oz cream cheese
½ cup butter, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla
4 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons milk
 (half recipe if you don’t plan on using much frosting)
1.     Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line tins with cupcakes liners (yields 30).
2.    Beat butter, sugar and brown sugar until light in color and smooth.  Scrape the bowl as needed.
3.    On slow, add eggs one at a time until incorporated.
4.    In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  (Sift if needed to get rid of lumps.)
5.    Alternate between adding your dry (flour mixture) and your wet ingredients (sour cream, buttermilk, milk and vanilla).  Letting each one completely mix in before adding the next.
6.   Fold in chocolate chips.
7.    Filling cupcake liners ¾ full and bake for 17-20 minutes.
8.   Buttercream: Beat cream cheese and butter.  Add vanilla, powdered sugar and milk and beat again.  Adjust using powdered sugar and milk to create desired consistency.
9.   Pipe onto cooled cupcakes and top with chocolate chips.

14 thoughts on “Dark Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Buttercream

~Judy~ says:

You are so awesome….another winner!

Ben says:

Cream cheese buttercream? Where do I sign up? Even the name is sinfully delicious!

Pat says:

Hi! I am new to your site, and I have been drooling over the pictures of luscious goodies! I have noticed that you sometimes use a cake mix as the basis for your cupcakes, other times you bake from scratch. I am trying to stay away from all of the preservatives and artificial additives in the cake mixes, yet many of my 'from scratch' attempts have been unsuccessful. How do you decide which route to use? Thanks!

Lizzy Mae says:

Pat, I like using cake mixes because they are cheap and foolproof. Baking from scratch is all about the mixing. Make sure you scrape down your bowl constantly, never put your mixer on high or even a fast medium, mix in eggs one at a time until each in incorporated, and alternate between adding your dry and wet ingredients. Feel free to email me with more questions at yourcupofcake@gmail.com

Medifast Coupons says:

These cupcakes look very decadent, can't wait to try a batch of my own, thanks for sharing.

I Love your cupcakes. I appreciate the times you show the tip you use. This is the hardest part for me. Especially the Oreo frosting.

Lorie

Lizzy Mae says:

Lorie, I lately I have using my 1M tip a lot, or ones very similar to it. That is the most difficult thing for me to decide. Keep in mind that depending on the consistency of your buttercream, the finished piped product will look different.

[…] to make. For these cupcakes, i wanted to do something kid friendly and delicious. I chose the Chocolate Chip Cupcakes recipe but i used semi-sweet chips instead of dark chocolate. This recipe is from scratch and the […]

[…] Sweet Bite: Dark Chocolate. Cream Cheese. Cupcake. Do I really need to say anything […]

Edith.R says:

Hi, lizzy !!..please help me out!!.. why is my cream cheese frosting coming out so dewey??? i can’t make it to come out all fluffy like your’s…. i did the HALF version of the recipe…

Cassondra says:

Do you use salted or unsalted butter for the frosting?

Sammy says:

Hi Lizzy! Is there an alternative to this recipe using a cake mix? I’m a little intimidated doing this from scratch. Thanks!